Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 3
Because you deducted your prior year health insurance premiums as a self-employed person, I'd include this rebate as income on line 21 (other income). I'm sure it does not go on schedule C, as it was never deducted there.

From a bottom line perspective, you get exactly the same result if you include it on line 21 or if you deduct it from the current year premiums. I simply prefer the better disclosure to the IRS of the rebate by putting it on line 21.


PS - For lurkers, you get a somewhat different answer if you are not self employed. I'd still put it on line 21, but only to the extent you were able to deduct the premium on Schedule A in a prior year.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.