Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

I'm one of those silicon valley weenies that have a small fortune in company stock options. I'm also a foreign national. Now I am talking about the kind of money that would see me working ever again only if I chose to do so, and I wouldn't want for much. The thing is, staying in the states and cashing those options would take about half a small fortune, making the resulting in hand money extremely borderline with regards to my life of no toil. And it seems with AMT I can't even get the 20% capitol gains by buying and holding.

So I have been thinking along the lines of becoming a tax exile for a year (exiled from anywhere that matters when it comes to giving bundles of cash away) - either in one place, or several if necessary to be taxable nowhere. Anyone know how to go about that? Any info on the net about this?

Thing is, if Uncle Sam wanted only a reasonable bite, he'd probably get it - but since he wants to spoil the party I'm inclined to give him nothing - as long as it is legal.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.