Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 22
He was the governor of Indiana. And in March of 2016 he signed a a law imposing new limitations on abortion. He lived to regret it.

Note from the OP (moi) - I am assuming Pence lived to regret it but maybe I give him too much credit -- Perhaps Mother Pence was proud of her brave boy. ;-)

Well, you know what some men say about a scorned woman -- The scorned women of Indiana decided that if Mike wanted to know about their menstrual cycles they'd give him a lot of information (as David Letterman said: TMI or Too Much Information) But I digress.

Periods As Protest: Indiana Women Call Governor To Talk About Menstrual Cyclesc
/snip

The "Periods for Pence" Facebook page wrote:

"Fertilized eggs can be expelled during a woman's period without a woman even knowing that she might have had the potential blastocyst in her. Therefore, any period could potentially be a miscarriage without knowledge. I would certainly hate for any of my fellow Hoosier women to be at risk of penalty if they do not 'properly dispose' of this or report it. Just to cover our bases, perhaps we should make sure to contact Governor Pence's office to report our periods. We wouldn't want him thinking that THOUSANDS OF HOOSIER WOMEN A DAY are trying to hide anything, would we?"

She invited women to call Pence's office to talk about their periods. "Let's make our bodies Mike's business for real, if this is how he wants it," the page posted.

The woman who came up with and implemented this inspired idea was "Sue Magina" -- rhymes with ...
Oh heck. You know what Magina rhymes with -- All of a sudden I'm remembering all those pink kitten hats. But f digress again.

Here are a couple of phone conversations which might amuse you:

The Facebook page shared transcripts of conversations

March 29:

Me: "Good morning. I just wanted to call and let the good Governor know that I am still not pregnant, since he seems to be so worried about women's reproductive rights."
Irritated lady on the other end of the phone: "And can I get your name, please?"
Me: "Sure, it's Not Pregnant Laura."

March 31:

Them: "Good Morning, Governor Pence's office"
Me: "Good Morning. I just wanted to inform the Governor that things seem to be drying up today. No babies seem to be up in there. Okay?"
Them: (Sounding strangely horrified and chipper at the same time) "Ma'am, can we have your name?"
Me: "Sure. It's Sue."
Them: "And your last name?"
Me: "Magina. That's M-A-G-I-N-A. It rhymes with — "
Them: "I've got it."
*Click*

There's gotta' be something here for the Texas anti-abortion law..

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/04/08/473518239...
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
The problem with these stunts is that they never reach their intended audience. All they did was annoy a low paid state employee whom Pence has nothing but contempt for.
No. of Recommendations: 2

The problem with these stunts is that they never reach their intended audience. All they did was annoy a low paid state employee whom Pence has nothing but contempt for.

Maybe. But I think Pence knew that people were laughing at him. I don't think it did the pipsqueck any good but it makes me feel better. A more normal individual (more normal than Pence) would be reminded (imho) of his humanity.

Laughing at politicians and self-important media are the whole premise of the Daily Show. (Lord. How I miss Jon Stewart.)
No. of Recommendations: 1
I have a wonderful close-up picture of four angry Maori warriors sticking out their very large tongues in the middle of a Haka.

I copied it on sheets of paper.

Now when I am angry with a politician I use this picture at the top of the page to write...

"This is exactly what I think of YOU for doing/saying.........
This letter probably won't reach YOU, but I hope the assistants who open all your mail know I feel the same about THEM, for supporting you!"

I feel much better after I have sent off one of those letters...at least for 24 hours, till more Repuglicans say stupid or false things.