Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Being fearful of losing your toes or feet and going blind is often a good motivator to change your ways. Shortly before I was diagnosed, a coworker who had been on an insulin pump died after a long painful year of debilitating diseases and amputations. Before that, another coworker had a hypoglycemic seizure in the middle of the floor. So when I was diagnosed, I had a little motivation.

But I also had a doctor and nutritionist who were laying down a heavy hand on my lifestyle, so I naturally resisted, complained, and yes, cheated. For a few weeks, I was angry and reluctant to trade Cherry Coke for salads. But after 3 months I dropped 30lbs, and I began to realize that what I eat does have a major impact on my health.

It is still a learning process. DM sometimes will cook separate foods for me at family dinners. The family eats off of one serving dish, and I get a side dish of a sugar free or reduced sugar item. I hate that, but not as much as her not bothering at all to cook a meal that is healthy for me. There is this idea that foods made with Splenda are bad for healthy people, or taste different or are for some other reason simply unacceptable. But the truth is that most people won't realize if something is not made from sugar.

It is also a truth that if you are diabetic, there is a genetic chance your kids at least have a risk of becoming diabetic. So while you are struggling to adjust to your new diet, maybe it could become a family activity. Many families dealing with juvenile diabetes deal with it by changing the lifestyle of the whole family so that the child feels supported and not isolated. Perhaps DW could bake a healthier pie or keep some sugar free snacks around the house.

Fuskie
Who found that once he admitted to himself that he wanted to change the way he ate, it became easier to "sacrifice" his old food urges and discover new ones...
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.