No. of Recommendations: 3
Being in a similar situation with my mother-in-law,who continues to use her late husband's full service broker for no reason other than it is what she is used to and theoretically is within driving distance, I empathize.

Chances are it would be possible to find new issue brokered CDs with similar maturities with no additional commission (other than what is built into the offering yield), at least that is true for places like Vanguard and Fidelity. You can't always match dates if you want to ladder every month or so, but if he got 1 year or 18 month CDs, then left money in a money market for a few months if needed for expenses, the lower return in the money market for a few months would probably not cost more than an added commission.

Assuming the CDs are FDIC insured, I wouldn't worry about risk. If you are truly looking at something international and not insured, I wouldn't go there for something with a marginally better return (and these CDs don't look like even a marginally better return).

I think the real question is whether you and your wife want to get into the generational conflict where your FIL's generation tends to feel a need for full service brokers, because that was what was available most of their lives and they think it paid off (not having a basis for comparison).

Of course he can do better for fixed-income assets taking money out of his full-service brokerage account. (A combination of something like Pentagon Federal Credit Union for regular CDs and Vanguard/Fidelity for brokered-CDs and free auction bids on Treasuries/TIPS would do the trick, staying with the "safest" options.) But my experience with my MIL is that even for a bank she can't drive to herself (she needs to get friends to drive more than very locally—we live far away), she is uncomfortable with anything that is at a distance.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.