Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Being in your mid 30's and risk tolerant, I would move it to a new Ameritrade account in your husband's name and invest in either exchange-traded funds or low expense ratio mutual funds.

Smith Barney will have high costs and will probably try to get you to rebalance more often than you really should. Ameritrade will let you make your own decisions.

As good as 5% return is, it is still less than the average return on stocks. You have 25-30 years for this money to grow. Historically stocks have always done better than fixed income investments over this long a time period.

Rolling it into a 401(k) plan at a new employer is is a possibility, but it is highly likely that your investment choices will be much more limited than at Ameritrade. I am from the school of thought that the more control I have over my own money, the better.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.