Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Being married, not being married, has little direct *negative* impact on wealth accumulation as your ability as a single to make, save and/or spend money will not change while you are single as a result of the lone fact that you are single.

Bit of a mouthful there ... ;-)

Napoleon Hill happened to be walking through a hotel (in Chicago?) quite a few years ago in which the Dale Carnegie Institute was putting on a seminar. One of the Institute's organizers rcognized him and convinced him - a long-time bachelor now married - to speak a few words to the assembled throng. He said one sentence and took no questions. His sentence: "Gentlemen, your single greatest asset is your wife."

His meaning, as explained to some detail in "You Can Work Your Own Miracles" was that a cooperative spousal relationship - two minds working together toward a common goal - was a priceless resource.

Remember his speaking, on many occasions in his books, of The Master Mind? The first and best one starts at home.

Does this mean that a single person (unmarried) cannot become wealthy? Of course not. Does this mean that a married couple - solely by virtue of being married - has a better chance? Of course not. It means that a married couple, WORKING TOGETHER TOWARD A COMMON GOAL works the best.

Having been married for over 7 years now, and having had the opportunity to recognize the magnitude of skills my wife possesses in the arena of money management (I'm better at making; she's MUCH better at saving) I can say with no reservation that two working as one gets more done in less time.

It can be a challenge though.

Where a single person doesn't need to call home and explain that they'll be working late; or make excuses for not going to see the in-laws so they can continue working on a project; or budget for the needs of another person, a single person also doesn't have someone to help them live and work through life.

Personally, I've tried it single and I've tried it married and I really do believe that "married" is better.

(For those of you who recognize the name "Bill Britt", yes, that is a take off on his, "I've been rich and I've been poor ...", comment.)

It is more challenging. Let's face it, just living in the same house, much less agreeing on financial priorities, can be challenging enough. But there is no better feeling in the world than knowing that you and your spouse are working together toward the same goals.

RAB
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.