Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Belize promptly sought U.S. permission to open a consulate in Sarasota with Dart as its consul. Foreign diplomats are exempt from U.S. taxes, so the move would have allowed Dart to avoid U.S. taxes while continuing to live here.

Well, that's pretty scummy and obviously a scam. But I don't have a problem with rich people (or any other people) leaving the country and changing citizenship to avoid future US taxes as long as they really do stay out of the country for all but a minimum number of days. After all, if they're rich, they already paid plenty while they were here. And if they continue to earn money inside the US, I believe that continues to be taxable.

I may be wrong on this because it's been a long time since I checked, but I think you're on the hook for 10 years of US taxes on your worldwide income after becoming a citizen of another country, even if you never set foot here again. Imagine moving from CA to WA or NV to avoid state income taxes and having to pay CA for the next ten years anyway. It ain't right.

Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.