Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 16
"It is very hard to succeed BennyG, he lectured, he translated Greek/Latin, he had lots of girl-friends in Europe, he ran a hedge fund and he wrote several books. He also introduced the world to concepts like mr. market, intrinsic value, margin of safety and even a magic number 8.5 that confused the investment community ever since it was formulated in the '60s. In his twilight years, he rejected the whole notion of picking individual stocks. He lived by the maxim to do something foolish, something creative and something generous every day."

My candidate #2 is Seth Klarman. He is a deep value investor. Like Buffett, he kept his gun powder dry for years until late 2008 where he used it to buy companies that was really cheap. When he graduated from Harvard, he managed private money. And since 1983, the Baupost Group which he ran, only saw 11 quarterly declines, and his average return a year was around 19+% annually. Klarman wrote a book, Margin of Safety, which is going for almost $900 on eBay.com. Klarman is famous because he doesn't like risks, he doesn't double-down even when he is convinced he is right. And he is known to be wary of value pretenders, investors who buy stocks just because the stocks are cheap. In 2008, he was first to comment against buying cheap for cheapness sake, and said that stocks falling from 100 to 20, felt the same as 70 to 20. If I have to nominate a Buffett successor, I put put my money on Klarman. I have a Klarman quote from a 2008 article which I will end this post with:

"So the question is not, Are people smart, are people sophisticated, do they have clever ways of looking at things, are they looking in the right areas? The question is, Are there periods when none of that matters because their human natures get the best of them ? -- Seth Klarman, Alpha Magazine, June 2008

raytoei
ps. throw me a rec with you want me to continue with this...
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.