No. of Recommendations: 6
bensolar: intercst wrote: hocus has been telling us for a year now that you can reliably take a 4% withdrawal from a 100% fixed income portfolio.

This type of BS has been the largest contributor to the circus-like atmosphere that has surrounded hocus for the last year. Intercst, of course, isn't the only one to make statements like this. In fact they come so fast and furious from so many different people that a casual reader would swear they are true.

From hocus' 'My Plan' post (http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=17246781 )

I find it difficult AFTER reading the ** hocus ** post where he says he IS taking 4% out, that you would go to the trouble of continuing the same BS about his withdrawal rate. It is plain for everyone to see. Or calculate. I suspect you didn't calculate it yourself. I note YKW never bothered to post, in that post, what $16,000 a year out of $400,000 a year is, in withdrawal rate.

The continual inability of folks to apply the "BS detector" using 3rd grade math to the posts of YKW is leading to the circus atmosphere here IMHO.

WOuld you care to show us how hocus is NOT taking 4% out in his plan?

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.