Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Beridian,
Love, LOVE the way you phrased this response, and the concept is one I'd only thought around the edges of until I read what you wrote. Especially the beginning and the end of it... right on point. However, I think this piece (and this piece alone) as it applies to your argument is not a good one:

what else might they be misguided about? How are we to accept anything that they proclaim? ... a tree cannot bear both good and bad fruit

Regardless of whether the last bit's true agriculturally, I completely disagree with this line of thinking as applied to people. The use of "what else might they be misguided about?" might seem to apply specifically for Catholics as it relates the crusades/witchcraft to the question of whether a supreme being exists at all, but stated as it is (as a generalization) I think it's drastically irresponsible. I see it used in political smear ads by both sides every two years. In fact, I'd contend that if this were the reasoning, then the simple idea that nobody's perfect would have to mean that nobody can ever be trusted about anything. After all, if <insert trusted scientist here> was wrong about what time the bus was going to arrive this morning, "what else could they be wrong about?" It's weak, improper, and out of place.

I appreciate the overall idea that men cannot be trusted on the question of the existence of a god, but being wrong about any specific things, even big things, does not by any means render anyone untrustworthy in all things.

-n8 (sadly, separated from the wagon a little bit today)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.