No. of Recommendations: 12
Bernie is just a stupid old commie. Even the Donkeys aren't gonna buy that bullfeces. No way he even gets a smell of the nomination after proposing the most massively stupid and unrealistic proposal in the history of American politics. Yowza.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Trump supporters don't get to argue about facts.
No. of Recommendations: 8
Oh, Bernie's tax would hit the middle class big time.

Let's see...your mutual fund trades shares....oops, there's the Bernie tax on every transaction reducing your annual gains by a few tenths of a percent. or more if your fund trades frequently.

You sell shares in your IRA/401K to fund the RMD. Ooops, there's the Bernie tax on that transaction.

You decide to change allocations in your stock account. Sell some losers and some gainers for zero cap gains....but...there's the Bernie tax on those stock sales/purchases.......so now you're taxed.......

One of the stocks on the index like SP500 drops out...well, your fund sells it...there's the Bernie tax on index funds...then they tax what was added to the index fund .....another bite......

Oh, it's anyone with a stock account that will pay for Bernie's bill. Wall Street will find ways to avoid, like trading on foreign exchanges that will likely grow like weeds...and shares will be traded overseas day in and day out...and of course at night - big time - avoiding the Bernie bite.

Foolishly, he assumes that folks will just sit back and happily pay 2.2 trillion MORE in taxes to fund his give aways.....

t.
No. of Recommendations: 12
Bernie is just a stupid old commie. Even the Donkeys aren't gonna buy that bullfeces. No way he even gets a smell of the nomination after proposing the most massively stupid and unrealistic proposal in the history of American politics. Yowza.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Didn't Marx promise a worker's Utopia.

So now we switch to a Student's utopia?
Schools... young adult day-care and indoctrination campuses.

Hmm, maybe teachers should work for free....
No. of Recommendations: 1
Trump supporters don't get to argue about facts.

Stop me.

Kathleen
No. of Recommendations: 5
<<Didn't Marx promise a worker's Utopia.

So now we switch to a Student's utopia?>>

The Marxist/Socialst/Liberal that I grew up with in the 1960s and 1970s was schooled in the discipline of actually paying attention to working people and our interests. However foolish their politics, that did tend to keep them tied in to the earth and ordinary people.

But these days their loyalty has switched to their new God of environmentalism, the politics of race, sex, homosexuality and other fashionable political concerns. Above all, their own SELF interests.

So they cut themselves off from the working class, and have grasped on to the vapors of their own political fads and fashions. Around the world, that is leading to their defeat as they favor ever more exotic political interests and despise the working class they used to favor as ignorant hicks from the sticks ---- a hate that is cordially returned.

Seattle Pioneer
<<Schools... young adult day-care and indoctrination campuses.

Hmm, maybe teachers should work for free....>>

How would they pay their student loans and union dues?

Seattle Pioneer
No. of Recommendations: 7
<<Trump supporters don't get to argue about facts.>>

Certainly NOT if it's inconvenient for liberals, left wingers and environmentalists! Call it hate speech and get it censored.

Seattle Pioneer
the 2 trillion trump added to the deficit for the big tax cut would pay for it...and

at least someone would get something out of it
No. of Recommendations: 8
the 2 trillion trump added to the deficit for the big tax cut would pay for it... - cgrinder

---------------------

Trumps policies have rejuvenated the economy. Revenue is UP. The growing deficit is a spending problem as it always has been.
Bernie's student debt solution should be re-labeled for what it is:

Make your neighbors pay for your education.
No. of Recommendations: 17
the 2 trillion trump added to the deficit for the big tax cut would pay for it...and

Even if that's $2trillion per year - I suspect it's more like per decade - it would NOT pay off $1.6trillion in 6 months as Bernie promised.

Also, with the government paying all college tuition, what's to stop colleges from raising their tuition? And what's to stop college enrollment from soaring? Both of these things happened when the government set up a gazillion programs to make sure that everyone could go to college on borrowed money. For example, in 1950 full-year tuition at the University of Pennsylvania was $600, or a bit under 1/5 of average family income ($3,300); adjusted for inflation that becomes $5,938 in 2019; but full-year tuition at the same school is now $47,416 which is more than 2/3 of median household income.

So the ongoing cost of free tuition for everybody would undoubtedly be much higher than Bernie anticipates.
So the ongoing cost of free tuition for everybody would undoubtedly be much higher than Bernie anticipates.

At first glance, I cannot fathom why the disfuctional 23 have become the party of pander. I mean, its as though there is some kind of cryptic contest to see who can come up with the most outrageous political ideas...the more outrageous, the better.

But then if you stop and realize, on this next election cycle, the millennials, age 22 to 37, will roughly equal the baby boomers, age 54 to 72. According to Pew Research Center, in 2012, the boomers and older represented 49% of the electorate. In 2020, this group drops to 37%.

https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/essay/an-early-look-at-the-2...

The problem with the millennials is they tend not to vote in mass as the boomers do, so apparently, the party of pander feels it necessary to scream, shout, wave their arms and spew obscenities to get their attention and then once gotten, to promise everything for free, all paid for by millionaires. The more free goodies the more motivated the millennials to get out and vote...or so goes the reasoning.

And 'free college' will mean public colleges will be flooded with students, many of who are not there for an education they are working to complete, but are there for other reasons. I mean, why not be there if someone else is paying for it. Public colleges will start looking like high schools, with all of the problems of over crowded high schools. Parents, in their quest to protect their kids from that, will be moving towards private schools, over crowding them and sending private tuition through the roof.

However you slice it, this is a very, very bad idea.

BruceM
Who would not want government run universities?

Government oversight of university professors and course content?

Government approval of texts - research - publications - and selection of
degrees?

He who pays the money - controls or at least heavily influences the activity.
To bad 'sedition' is now protected under 'free-speech' at our schools.
No. of Recommendations: 2
I generally like Bernie. Not all of his ideas are wrong or ridiculous. But THIS? Sorry, Bernie, but glibly paying off all college loans is patently absurd.

As some have said, what's to slow paying staff and whoever else anything they like, for openers?

And at least some of the bills run up by students and/or families are just plain dumb and could have been avoided. True, folks.

Sorry, Bernie, but here's one supporter who agrees that this is over the top.

Vermonter
No. of Recommendations: 6
"And at least some of the bills run up by students and/or families are just plain dumb and could have been avoided. True, folks.
"

If most students knew that their college debt could be dumped on their taxpaying neighbors,they'd use their student loans for party supplies,nice car,& lotsa restaurant bills.
"If most students knew that their college debt could be dumped on their taxpaying neighbors, they'd use their student loans for party supplies, nice car, & lotsa restaurant bills."

My point exactly.

I do also think students need to get better advice from parents, counselors, and themselves (!) before signing up for a costly education and/or loans.

A student supposedly smart enough to go through college should also be smart enough to look into what kind of financial burdens he may be getting into and think about what his earnings may be like in his/her chosen career.

It shouldn't be a free ride, unless he or she has somehow earned that by being smart enough or otherwise skilled enough to deserve it.

Vermonter
No. of Recommendations: 6
Bernie is just a stupid old commie. Even the Donkeys aren't gonna buy that bullfeces.

Bernie is essentially spouting the same stuff he was 4 years ago. You forget how close he got to the nomination. Probably would have won if it wasn't rigged for Hillary.

Remember, just when you think you've reached peak stupid, someone always manages to go one step further. In this case, the population that Bernie is targeting.

JLC
<peak stupid>

I didn't say it first, but I have long heard the phrase that "stupidity never goes on backorder".

Those old enough here may remember there was a dance back in the day called the Limbo with a song in it's honor called the Limbo Rock. The premise starts with a bar that each person tries to pass under without touching the ground with anything other than their feet. It is fairly easy at the start. Then they gradually lower the bar so only the most limber of folks can pass under it. One of the lines in the song is "How low can you go?"

When that concept gets put to the test regarding stupidity, each previous low mark is met with a "Well, they can't go any lower!" The sad truth remains "Of course they can and they will!" The batch of dems running for president are Exhibit A.

BG
<<I didn't say it first, but I have long heard the phrase that "stupidity never goes on backorder".>>

That appears to be a dumb comment.

Being on backorder means that some product is sold out.

Never being on backorder implies that there is a surplus of stupid that can't be sold.

I suppose this was written by one of our high achieving college graduates?

Seattle Pioneer
I do also think students need to get better advice from parents, counselors, and themselves (!) before signing up for a costly education and/or loans.

A student supposedly smart enough to go through college should also be smart enough to look into what kind of financial burdens he may be getting into and think about what his earnings may be like in his/her chosen career.

It shouldn't be a free ride, unless he or she has somehow earned that by being smart enough or otherwise skilled enough to deserve it.

I told my kids early on that the only reason to actually pay for a college education was to get that little piece of paper that says, "You should pay me more because I can show that I have a clue." If that little piece of paper isn't in a discipline that will pay the bills, do not bother because you can learn anything you want somewhere else and usually for free.

Seriously, look online. Most of the universities have their courses online frequently for free. If it is simply a subject you are interested in, but will never make enough to pay the bills, study on your own. Don't pay through the nose for someone to teach you something that will never pay your bills. ROI is everything when it comes to a paid education.

Kathleen
I didn't say it first, but I have long heard the phrase that "stupidity never goes on backorder".

I prefer, "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Albert Einstein

Kathleen
No. of Recommendations: 5
Right now, most students have to do a trade-off between where they go to college, what they major in, what that major is likely to lead to as far as pay and job prospects. (Some don't, of course, and become PhDs in Economics and owe $180K as a Dem's campaign manager.)

But, if everything becomes "free," then we'll be seeing a lot more Women's Studies, Grievance Studies, Art History and Modern Dance degrees awarded.
<<But, if everything becomes "free," then we'll be seeing a lot more Women's Studies, Grievance Studies, Art History and Modern Dance degrees awarded.>>

Oh, dear!

Didn't Democratic candidates have an opportunity for a show of hands on free college education for illegal immigrants?

Perhaps they are saving that one for the next time.

Seattle Pioneer