No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi All,

I live in NYC and am thinking about a trip San Fransisco. Could you please give me some ideas as to when air fares are cheapest? Which air carrier is best? Any other tips are welcome too. Thank you in advance.

BK
Print the post Back To Top
The Hotels are expensive there, if you are staying in hotels for any length of time, the hotels will probably cost you more than the airfare. I would start by researching when the hotels are the most affordable.

You should also price flying into Oakland or San Jose, they may cost much less and you can easily get to San Francisco from either of them.

Greg
Thank you for your reply. My dad has a friend in San Fransisco, so I may be able to get a place to stay for little money. I know that air fare prices differ at different times of the year (my dad and my mom will go with me on this trip), that's why I'd like to know.

Also, if any of you have been there, please let me know where to visit. What are the places I just can't miss?
Although it is not for everyone, Alcatraz is worth a visit. In the summer months, you may need to book ahead on the National Parks website. You then pick up the tickets at the pier.

As it happens, my wife and I are traveling to San Francisco tomorrow. We hope to travel up to north a bit to see the redwoods. Others have said that Highway 1 to the south is spectacular.

San Francisco is a great city to walk in. Recently National Geographic Magazine did a short podcast on walking in San Francisco. It can be found at:

http://podcast.nationalgeographic.com/walks-of-a-lifetime/

Or you can find it through iTunes under National Geographic.

Have fun,

Ian
I've travelled to SF a few times in the last several years and the best fare I got was last summer. That's just my experience, so take it as that. Don't forget to check JetBlue, too--they fly into Oakland as well as SF. And my favorite carrier was Delta as Song, though I hear they're phasing that out.

I'd recommend a Grey Lines tour of the city to start. It'll hit most of the touristy highlights with minimal effort on your part and get you oriented to the city.

Don't miss a visit to Berkeley--easily reached via bart.

North and South on Rt 1 are both absolutely WONDERFUL. North = Muir Woods (redwoods), Napa Valley, wine country and Point Reyes for a more wilderness, sunsets on the beach sort of thing. South = The 17-mile Drive, Big Sur and many other wonders.

Have a great trip!
No. of Recommendations: 1
I just came across this site today - maybe it can help you decide the best time to fly to San Francisco.

http://www.farecast.com/
Thank you to all who's replied.