No. of Recommendations: 1
There are loads of lists of places that are good for retirement.

I have three. All are in Washington State. All are in low taxed portions of Washington AState, which doesn't permit income taxes by state or local government.

And these three meet my bias for living by the water.

Vancourver, Washington

Directly across the wide Columbia River from Portlandia ---I mean Portland, Oregon, a Progressive capitol. By in Vancouver you are in a low tax haven with ready access to Portland whenever you may want to visit.

Port Angeles, Wa

On the coast of Washington State just off the Pacific ocean, and a ferry boat ride away from the lively liberal capitol of British Columbia ---- Victoria, BC. It is a fairly lengthy ferry boat ride and you can get seasick on a rough day, but still it's always a terrific adventure to visit Canada, and Victoria in particular.

Also, if you don't want to go north to Canada, you can go south into Olympic National Park which is right handy, or drive a litle farther and visit the Olympic National Park Ocean beaches or the Makah Indian reservation when they are bringing in dead whales to cut up.

Port Angeles is a nice working class small city.

Aberdeen, Wa

Another small, working class city with low costs and low taxes. Located on a sizable bay off the Pacific Ocean on the coast of Washington State. Good salmon and ocean fishing nearby, and take the city bus into Olympic National Park if you like.

If I weren't tied down in Seattle, I'd seriously consider a move to either Aberdeen or Port Angeles.

A runner up would be Por Townsend, Wa, an island of liberalism in an otherwise red county. Right on several bodies of ocean inlets leading to Seattle. Not quite as cheap as the other towns mentioned.

Take a city bus and ferry boat to visit Seattle!

Seattle Pioneer
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.