Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hey,

I've had a little over $500 sitting in my NetBank MMA for awhile. I've been using the account because I had checks left over; just been transferring my rent money from USAA to NetBank then writing a check. Now that I'm down to one check I'm ready to close the account, as I'm happy with my combination of USAA and ING and any step I can take to simplify my financial life is welcome.

What's the best way to close it? Call, Fax, Bank Mail? I understand I need to have more than $7.50 in the account before closing it, otherwise they'll charge me $7.50, which would be bad. Otherwise I'd just write myself a check for the balance and then close the account.

Thanks

-z
Print the post Back To Top
Call and see what you need to do to close the account with no fees charge in closing the account.
z:

I recently closed my NetBank Money Market account. I simply sent a bank mail and they closed the account within a day and I had my check within 5 days.
Can you leave the website for USAA bank? If you can give me any insight it would be most helpful. I am currently looking for a new bank. Thanks...

Arnie
I have been with USAA, and I can tell you that they are one of the best banks around. The interest rates are not that great, but you get plenty of benefits:

** No fees, no minimum balance requirements on checking or savings
** ATM surcharge rebates, up to 10 per month ($1.50 limit each)
** Free ACH transfers to/from accounts at other institutions (and they are very quick)
** 0.35%APY on checking (balances $1,000 and more)
** 1.61%APY on savings (balances $1,000 and more - this rate includes a 1.00%APY bonus for keeping $1,000 in the account all year long)
** A very stable institution that is making more than $100 million in profits per year ($148 million in 2001)
** Check card rebates - at the end of the month, you get 0.50% of all "credit" purchases made with the Check & Cash Card (debit mastercard)

USAA has some of the best customer service around. You would be very happy with them!

You have to have a military connection to have insurance with them, but ANYONE can bank with them. Call 1-800-531-2265 and ask them for a member ID to allow you into the website; from there you can read about accounts and services, and open accounts.
The website address is www.usaa.com.
Plus USAA offers a credit card and their credit card rates are generally low. Plus they offer their Eagle Points Program.