Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have been trying to pay off my cc debt for and am in year 2 of a 5 year plan. I have cut expenses, raised income, use only cash and debit cards, etc. I have just hit a depressing snag and trying to figure out how to move on.

I am a contract employee who was slated to roll off my contract March 30 but thankfully given a 2 week extension, job ends April 13. Looking furiously for work, may have a part-time gig starting May 1 and looking for full time work but to be safe, I am anticipating having to go 4-6 weeks without work. I have put some money in savings to fund this but it's a bare minimum amount and will only cover my basic expenses for a month, will not include:

$2700 payment to IRS for 2006 (I miscalculated income taxes but have now hired an accountant as TurboTax was my previous method)

$1400 payment to pay off a motor scooter which I have a 0% interest until May 2007 (then it jumps to 20% on the full amount which was $2900)

The old Me would have just moved these amount to a credit card, but the new Me refuses to get into more debt.

Some Options:

Tax Payment: Option 1: File deferred payment plan and pay back the IRS over the next year (YUK but a possibility). Option 2: Get a new job ASAP and use my savings to pay the taxes (am aiming for this but need a backup), Option 3: cash out a tiny Annuity fund I have which would probably just about cover this amount.

Scooter Payment: Option 1: move the amount to my 6.9% credit card, Option 2: Sell the scooter (can probably sell for $2200) - this is my current mode of transportion to/from work but I have other options.

Psychologically I cannot make more debt from myself, I already feel like this debt payoff is taking decades and it's only been 2 years. Am I missing any other options?
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.