No. of Recommendations: 0
BethCarter Date: 4/20/99 3:25 PM Number: 10052
I like the idea of the 3-year averaged cash flow.

Keep us posted on how it works out - I'm still a few years away from trying it myself.

3% withdrawals per year. For my portfolio, that amount is way more than our average annual expenses have been for the last 3 years, so that feels safe.

You don't won't to successfully accumulate the wealth, and then fail to enjoy any of the fruit of you labor. To me, it feels like a moral obligation to yourself to spend 2-3% every year. If you can't do it any other way, become the community philanthropist. Remember that on average you will be growing 10-11% per year in stocks, so this is a not a serious threat to your continued wellbeing.

the other threads you refer to, I can't find them

I found this site very difficult to navigate when I was new, too. It's still poorly designed, but I've learned where things are with time. To find the thread for you, I went to the board "Investors Roundtable/Foolish Workshop." At the bottom of a message, I hit the "search" button. I checked "just this board", and in subject put "as we know it" It came up with 28 messages. I clicked on the first one listed (#22978). Then I clicked on the "Foolish Workshop" part of the board name. Then I clicked on "Threaded." Then I clicked on "Prev." That page was all from this thread, so I clicked on "Prev" again. From there I learned the first message in the thread is #22747. And here is the URL that should bring this up in threaded form.
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1030013004874000&sort=id
Just click on "next" to step through the thread.

Someplace in the thread you will come to the retirement planner reference. This has been a recurrent theme in the places I have seen this discussed, so I would use the URL or perhaps the names associated with this for another search to find other places it has been discussed, and track down those threads in the same way.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.