Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
U.S., NATO allies reject major Russian demands, offer different compromise

By PBS NewsHour - Watch 8 minute NATO & Ukraine segment here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxxQoTvCWBg&t=0s

The United States and NATO on Wednesday rejected Russia's demands that Ukraine never be allowed to become a member of NATO, and that the expansion of NATO since 1997 be rolled back. Russian officials said they would study the written response they received, but blamed the West for taking aggressive actions and said it will take the necessary retaliatory measures. Nick Schifrin reports.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have to be honest. I don't see how the USA has a dog in this fight. I don't want our soldiers to be killed for The Ukraine. I can get behind sending them a bunch of weapons to defend themselves, but not our people.
I have to be honest. I don't see how the USA has a dog in this fight.

Unless one of the dogs kills the other dog and then charges after you.
I have to be honest. I don't see how the USA has a dog in this fight.

Putin should not be encouraged.

BTW, Tucker Carlson has been beyond disgusting and shameful in his embrace of Putin and other autocrats. FOX 'news' is democracy poison.
The United States and NATO on Wednesday rejected Russia's demands that Ukraine never be allowed to become a member of NATO

Russian demands require that NATO pull its troops back to 1997 levels and remove NATO from Poland and the Baltic States. The United States doesn't need to spend $200bil on deploying US forces. The US could spend a quarter of that money on ramping up US Gas exports to Germany and let Russia invade Ukraine. Invading Ukraine will cost Russia dearly; allowing Russia to overreach their military was what caused the Old Soviet Union to collapse. Ukraine is not of any strategic value to the United States or economic importance.

Unless one of the dogs kills the other dog and then charges after you.

Dear wzambon,
This is exactly the Munich analogy used to defend sending over 250,000 troops to Vietnam. We let Hitler invade the Sudetenland and that's how one country after another will topple.
Russia has been the principal operative in Ukraine for a very long time. If the United States would temper down this confrontation with Russia, Putin will merely control Ukraine without a military intervention anyway.
As I said, Ukraine has never been of any strategic importance to the United States. I can go on about how worthless it is to spend US assets on Ukraine, rather the United States should consider spending those assets on ramping up Gas Production and delivery to Germany.
Do you think that Germany is going to resist a Russian occupation in Ukraine? Seriously?
This conflict in Ukraine has been going on for a longtime, the United States does not need to get involved in every civil war around the world.
If it charges us, then we can shoot it. But until then, I just don't see why Americans should die for The Ukraine.
Dear wzambon,
This is exactly the Munich analogy used to defend sending over 250,000 troops to Vietnam. We let Hitler invade the Sudetenland and that's how one country after another will topple.
Russia has been the principal operative in Ukraine for a very long time. If the United States would temper down this confrontation with Russia, Putin will merely control Ukraine without a military intervention anyway.
As I said, Ukraine has never been of any strategic importance to the United States. I can go on about how worthless it is to spend US assets on Ukraine, rather the United States should consider spending those assets on ramping up Gas Production and delivery to Germany.
Do you think that Germany is going to resist a Russian occupation in Ukraine? Seriously?
This conflict in Ukraine has been going on for a longtime, the United States does not need to get involved in every civil war around the world.

Not really. It started when Obama over threw the government and installed a bunch of Fascist.

Imagine the hair pulling if Russia installed a pro Russian dictator in Mexico and started sending weapons to northern Mexico then threatening the United States for massing troops on the Texas border. This is what the United States has done.

This is stupid. However dead we get we deserve it.

Cheers
Qazulight
No. of Recommendations: 4
Russia has been the principal operative in Ukraine for a very long time.

Ukraine has been the principle operative in Ukraine since the Soviet Union fell apart.

And Ukrainian independence from Russia is supported by the vast majority of citizens.

Russia has always justified itself as the ruler of Eastern Europe by appealing to historic ties and referring to itself as the guardian of the Slavic people, but today that is nothing more propaganda to mask Putin’s imperial desire to reconstitute the territorial boundaries of the former USSR.

And Ukraine wants none of it.
Not really. It started when Obama over threw the government and installed a bunch of Fascist.

The conflicts with Russia and Russian interference in Elections, poisoning candidates, voter intimidation goes back to the Orange Revolution. To throw the Ukrainian mess at the feet of Obama is superficial. I’m not a big supporter of Obama’s foreign policies, he and Hillary made many mistakes; chief among them was ignoring Richard Holbrook’s advice on Afghanistan. An example of Obama’s hubris.

Imagine the hair pulling if Russia installed a pro Russian dictator in Mexico and started sending weapons to northern Mexico then threatening the United States for massing troops on the Texas border.

I think I made that clear.
Ukraine has been the principle operative in Ukraine since the Soviet Union fell apart.
And Ukrainian independence from Russia is supported by the vast majority of citizens.

That's not Our problem, for one thing. furthermore, Russia has been involved in Ukraine politically and economically since the so-called independence.
You’re telling me that Viktor Yanukovych wasn’t a Russian puppet? Who did Yanukovych consult with, Oh Putin. Where did Yanukovych go to live after being kicked out of office, oh Russia. And What Happened to Tymoshenko, Yanukovych’s political opponent? Oh she went to prison in order to prevent her from running for office.
Who is Yulia Tymoshenko? The leader of the Orange Revolution who opposed Putin’s interference in Ukraine. Yulia Tymoshenko was a pro-western Ukrainian PM that opposed Putin and subsequently was sent to prison at Putin’s behest. Where are Putin’s political opponents? That’s right, Prison. As soon as Tymoshenko supported NATO membership, she winds up in prison, why? Because Russia has a very powerful influence in Ukraine.

Ukraine wants none of it

The Economies Of Ukraine and Russia Are Nearly Inseparable. Why the US would find anything necessary to support in Ukraine is unbelievable. Ukraine is Russia’s largest trading partner. To characterize Ukraine and Russia as two completely separate entities is a fantasy that is geared to build a US military presence where no presence is necessary. The United States doesn’t need to get involved in this regional dispute. And… you know who agrees with that statement? Germany. And without Germany’s support, there is nothing worth spending supporting Ukraine.

If the United States wants to support the EU, then The United States should consider spending those assets on ramping up Gas Production and delivery to Germany; supporting NATO countries' independence from Russian energy supply.