No. of Recommendations: 1
http://photos.oregonlive.com/oregonian/2012/11/oregon_coast_...

It's a barn that blew over in a burst of wind near the OR coast, where gusts of 100mph were reported yesterday, reminding us of the fragility of barns.

Yesterday we had two inches of rain where I live. I know, Dallas gets that much in an hour during flood season, but it's still a lot.

--fleg
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
You can use wood to build stuff in Oregon? Who knew!?!
fleg;"Yesterday we had two inches of rain where I live. I know, Dallas gets that much in an hour during flood season, but it's still a lot."

got my shorts and tee shirt on today. 75 outside. Was about 60 early this morning. Tomorrow a repeat.

CLeaning up around the house, organizing 'stuff'.......

windows wide open.....nice.....

Maybe a few clouds and sprinkles on turkey day.

No travel planned this year.

Not much rain here lately.

t.
aOLf:"You can use wood to build stuff in Oregon? Who knew!?! "

Not for long The eco-whacks will require that houses be made of recycled wheat stalks or other biofuel 'waste products'......

CUtting down living trees is so barbaric!.....

or maybe clay bricks......carefully made without using fossil fuels in any form.

but not LIVE trees! horrors.....killing trees to build houses and barns!.....the 'world spirits' will be disrupted.

Now in southwest TX and south NM and AZ they build out of adobe.....but I think with the 99% humidity of OR, they would only last a few years and turn to a mud pile......

t
Now in southwest TX and south NM and AZ they build out of adobe

That's because you can't make sturdy walls from cactus and sagebrush. And dirt is cheap enough that you can make the walls six feet thick so you don't die of heatstroke while you're inside.

--fleg
fleg:"That's because you can't make sturdy walls from cactus and sagebrush. And dirt is cheap enough that you can make the walls six feet thick so you don't die of heatstroke while you're inside."

actually, in places like Alpine and Taos...that are up 5000 feet in elevation...

with 2 foot thick abode walls, you don't need a/c. It cools off at night into the 50s and 60s...and even if gets up to 100 deg, it seldom goes above 80 in the house.

You can live with almost no heating/cooling bills there...

as opposed to Portland where you have to run your dehumidifier 100% of the time.....other than maybe 3 days a year when you have a 'freak' clear low humidity day.

t.
It's a barn that blew over in a burst of wind near the OR coast, where gusts of 100mph were reported yesterday, reminding us of the fragility of barns. - Fleg

-----------------------------

Ouch. A shame to lose a venerable old structure. I hate to see them using a front loader to clean up debris. I would love to get my hands on some that ancient weathered barn wood.

Barn 2.0 is rated for IIRC 110 or 120 mph winds. It is what they call a pole barn where the structure is setting on columns sunk deep in the ground.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Barn 2.0 is rated for IIRC 110 or 120 mph winds. It is what they call a pole barn where the structure is setting on columns sunk deep in the ground.

It must give you a sense of security to know that you'll still have the underground portions of the columns left after the tornado passes through.

--fleg