Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
What is a good reference source that adjusts the relative chronology of the reigns of the kings of the Old Testament kingdoms of Judah and Israel to absolute chronology? I'm thinking Kenneth Kitchen, but which book of his? Maybe someone else?
Sr
Print the post Back To Top
If you just want a list, you can just go to Wikipedia. You can find a chart of the kings of Judah comparing Kitchen with Albright and others.

Or perhaps I misunderstood exactly what you are looking for.
Mmmmm, maybe.

Yup, I've seen the lists, the graphics, online, at Wikipedia and elsewhere. They don't align with the figures given in 1&2 Kings, 2 Chronicles. I suspect that's mostly because of co-regencies and partly because of the way the years may have been reckoned.

What I'm interested in is how to align the numbers in the biblical books on the kings' reigns with what you see online, perhaps--more specifically, with what's presented in the magazine Biblical Archaeological Review, where the figures are similar, probably, with what's online.

I'm looking for the reputable source or sources that explain the convergence of the biblical regnal year numbers with the scholarly research on them that assigns absolute dates that are generally accepted to them. I suppose I could check out all of the references at Wikipedia, but I'm looking for a shortcut: which books of Kitchen, Albright, e.g.?
Sr
Yo, got my books, or at least a couple to check out.

They're going to be the unfortunately titled The Mysterious Numbers of the Hebrew Kings by Edwin R. Thiele and Kenneth Kitchen's On the Reliability of the Old Testament. Maybe they'll scare up some Albright or someone more recent.

Quora. Got them from Quora.
Sr