Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Any engineers out there that can help me assemble a Shimano 3Speed gear/hub assembly?

It is in an old Woolworth's Timberline bike.
I took it apart (partially) to clean it up and now find it will not shift into 1st or 2nd gear.

A shifter rod bears against a spring loaded key but it has no effect on the ring gear as it compresses a spring. The ring gear has to move into the hub a certain distance in order to change gearing but does not.

Let me know if you can help and we will discuss the problem further.
H.
Print the post Back To Top
Any engineers out there that can help me assemble a Shimano 3Speed gear/hub assembly?

Never mind -- I have the solution. Very simple too. The key was on the wrong side of the ring gear.
H.

No. of Recommendations: 2
Did the last post come through? I'm new here.
I'm Dutch and fietser means cyclist, so it is refreshing to see this post here.
I've had a very spotted career.. background in biochemistry, degree in Agricultural Engineering (plant protection, toxicology) & later on in information science.
Due to the frugality of my folks, I've reached a point in which I no longer need to work, provided I'll be as frugal as they were.

May be difficult! How do I keep silent about this? How do I behave?

So, I thought it would be better to make a softer cushion and start investing that money. Actually someone did it for me and did brilliantly. So brilliant that I fear he will retire himself before he's 30 y.o.! So, I need to learn how to do it myself... hence my search! Found it in an outlandish forum... all the better as I want to keep low profile back home.

Cheers from an avid cyclist
No. of Recommendations: 0
fiester,

Have you competed in any cycling races? I do a great deal of biking myself and would like to start competing on an amature basis. However, I've been training on a full-suspension mountain bike. Hopefully, this will prove to be to my advantage as I believe that a street bicycle will be more efficient on distance rides ;)

Any experience with GT street cycles? Definately my brand of choice for mountain bikes, how do their street bikes fare?

Have you competed in any cycling races?
Not the traditional ones no.. I am a couch potato by nature who accidentally stumbled on cycling as more than just a tool for getting me from A to B.
Thanks to a friend I took up long-distance cycling.
My feats are:
1996 : 2 24hr TT : best result was 480 K (300 mi) in 24 hrs on an ordinary hybrid touring bike.
All other rides were done on a custom fit touring bike with MTB wheels (first 32mm later 25mm).
1997: London Edinburgh London: 1400 K nonstop in 116 hrs (20 min less than maximally required)
1998: Paris Amsterdam Nonstop: 550 K in 40 hrs.
1999: Paris Brest Paris : 1200 K nonstop, but DNFed at 700K and 45 hrs.
2000-2001: one year of cycle-touring
So, no races but a bit more fanatical than average.

I do a great deal of biking myself and would like to start competing on an amature basis. However, I've been training on a full-suspension mountain bike. Hopefully, this will prove to be to my advantage as I believe that a street bicycle will be more efficient on distance rides ;)

Any experience with GT street cycles? Definately my brand of choice for mountain bikes, how do their street bikes fare?

Sorry, I don't have a clue. For those really fanatical about doing long rides and shorter/longer than average, a custom fit bike pays.
For road bikes, I hear good things about Bianchi, Colnago (but very dear).. I am currently in the process of buying or at least testing a few Bike Friday bikes as I combine cycle-touring with hitch-hiking and taking buses/trains... am a little bit fed up with paying for taking a bike. The BF fits in a suitcase.. or a largish travel bag no questions asked!