Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mayorkas-compares-debunked...

In the wake of Biden’s reproachful remarks detailing what they assert is an unfounded claim lacking evidence, border patrol agents revealed to Fox News that they feel alienated and betrayed. They affirmed that were simply following instructions and protocol handed down from the executive branch the president presides over.

Be careful when Dopey says he has your back.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I've said long ago - I wish border patrol would take their paycheck, and look the other way.'

And my goodness, they could make tons of "side money" also.
No. of Recommendations: 27
Unfounded claim? What a bunch of baloney. We've all seen the video. The claims of mis-treatment of people are clear and are true.

It sounds like these agents are whining because they can't beat people with whips and trample them with horses. If they think those things are OK, they have no business being in any position of authority.

These are not hardened criminals. They are people fleeing their failing country and hoping to make a better life in the US. While we have immigration laws that need to be honored, we also need to find a way to treat these people with dignity and respect. The videos of immigration officers using whips and horses on people are about as far from dignity and respect that you can get.

--Peter
No. of Recommendations: 4
peter, I'm guessing you either didn't read the story or you let your personal bias blind you to what was said.

Note to you: The photographer that took that (in)famous photo has gone on record saying there was no whipping, there was no trampling, there was no excess violence. Yet Biden and pals jumped up and screamed bloody murder about how evil the border patrol is.
And I'm with Bonroy. Let the border patrol stay home. Let the borders disappear and flood the Country with cheap labor. Our capitalist system needs the profits that cheap labor will provide.
No. of Recommendations: 1
But Grumpy, here's where our side screws up - over and over and over. And we need to get past our ideology, past cable networks and past radio hosts.

And, for god's sake "my principles!" "my resolve! "courage of my convictions!" all those Hannity Levin Coulter words - ALL of them.

Cheap labor flooding America is *fine* with Club 401K Liberals - they love it. It makes their standard of living better, as stuff costs less, and serves are more plentiful. It HURTS the working class - and that is precisely what Club 401K wants - they can't stand flyover country, Americans with their kids and fanny packs shopping at big boxes and having a BBQ. Repeatedly- look at this board - you'll see contempt for even things like "rural!" "red meat!" and as a sign of how aloof, OR aggressive they are.....they want non Club 401k'ers - in the Hunger Games. They shout "$15 an hour!!!!" - heck, a majority of the middle class wouldn't get out of bed for $15 an hour - it's a bumper sticker. All these people want - is for a bulk of Americans to get their 15 a week, their pot to smoke, their virtual-reality-Facebook, and they want to turn them into loyal subjects to the crown - - while Club 401K can enjoy corporatism to the max, and make the top 1% pay for their bike paths lol.

Yes, border patrol should phone it in. I still like my idea better - let them "earn money" at the border.

BUT - WE NEED TO EMBRACE THE MOST AGGRESSIVE PROGRESSIVISM.

*We protect upper income people - a majority - are LIBERALS!

*We were against ACA Individual Mandates - but that means healthy Millenial Liberals with their arugula forced to buy insurance, and HELP cover people in Red States.

*We should want HIGHER corporate taxes! Why do we protect "woke" corporations so they can turn around and cancel us?

Club 401K talks "fairness" and "wealth gap" but they seeth at the thought of any self sacrifice:

*Why won't they give up 401K tax deferrals that the single low income mom can't afford to contribute? Ditto IRA and 529?

*Why won't they call for taxation of employer provided health insurance? Why should a *huge* perk like that go untaxed?

*Why do they want FICA withholding stopped around $137k? Why shouldn't the college degreed Liberal, making $200k - pay FICA on the remaining $63k of income, while the working class has to pay on 100% of their income?

*How about raise the retirement age? While lowering it for blue-collar Americans who can't do those jobs in older ages?

Raising taxes on people earning $400k? Heck, start at $150k. Sure, this is a Financial Board, Conservatives here, many will be in these brackets but look out there in the real world. Conservatives are the lower incomes - it's Liberals and Club 401K who doesn't care about inflation - because their little stock portfolios grow tax free.

Why we defend people and corporations that cancel us - I never figured out. So I sort of stopped caring. Conservatives are NOTHING where it comes to Entertainment, Public Schools, Colleges, even the Fortune 500. All we got is talk radio, a cable channel, and erectile dysfunction ad sponsors.

Here's to any Border Patrol who "gets paid" and doesn't do his job.

But the. best way to deal with this - is to be AOC on steroids.

Most Conservatives don't like nor agree with what I say - fine - I wish they'd look around and notice - they mean so *little* in the country right now. Eventually Conservatives will need their own NAACP.

Maybe Mr Sharpton will lead us.

*No TMF member is attacked in this post*
No. of Recommendations: 12
peter, I'm guessing you either didn't read the story

Of course I didn’t. You have a history of posting highly biased articles from questionable sources. I have no desire to look at such things, nor support them with views.

But just to humor you, I have now looked. And I must say that you did not disappoint. The National Review. Highly biased, as expected.

I will now waste no time in reading it.

—Peter
No. of Recommendations: 14
Now that I've gotten my annoyance at your news sourcing off my chest, let's give a shot at a more substantial answer.

The Border Patrol, like many police and sheriff departments across the country has some problems. Lots of problems, actually. Over the last 50 or 60 years, policing has changed from "keeping the peace" to "I'm in charge here and you will do what I say". That's a nationwide problem, probably related to changes in police training and attitudes. So the Border Patrol is starting from behind in terms of public opinion.

But let's get to details. I find a number of reliable sources that agree that the photographer didn't see agents actually whipping people. But my own eyes say they were sure using those long reins in an intimidating way. They may have been controlling their horse with the spinning rein, but the people in close proximity are not going to see it that way. They are going to see something whipping around near them and be in fear for their safety. That's not a good look for the Border Patrol.

The Patrol was also badly outnumbered in the scenes I saw. Perhaps a half dozen mounted agents were trying to block a long string of migrants attempting to cross the river, and they were using their horses to do the blocking. Again, that is intimidating. They were trying to get all of these people to go back to Mexico, who doesn't really want them, either.

Speaking of Mexico, it appears that Mexico helped fast-track these migrants across their country, giving them bus rides from their southern to northern border. That is part of why this particular migration seemed to develop so quickly. Most of the time, migrants are on their own crossing Mexico. They walk, they hitch rides, they cover perhaps a dozen or two miles a day. That gives US authorities lots of time to prepare for their arrival. This time we had no such warning. These migrants were in the south of Mexico one day, then at our border the next.

Looking further into the status and history of these particular migrants, we learn that they are mostly from Haiti. If you recall your 7th grade geography classes, you'll remember that Haiti is an island in the Caribbean. So when did they get from Haiti to Central or South America? About a decade ago, after the 2010 earthquake there. When that disaster devastated their country, many found it preferable to leave than continue to put up with the dysfunction in Haiti. So they left for wherever they could go. Many found their way to countries that didn't immediately send them back (like, the USA did, for example). The recent assassination of the Haitian president seems to have triggered these people to move again and attempt to enter the US.

Now that these people have shown up at our southern border, our lack of a coherent immigration policy is showing again. This particular problem isn't new and isn't limited to either political party. Neither party seems to want to deal with immigration. Both are sticking to the tried and true and not-really-working-well policy of strictly limiting immigration and deporting those who are caught crossing illegally, particularly at our southern border.

The insanity of this policy is made even more clear now, as these former Haitians who have been living in places like Guatemala and Venezuela and Columbia and other such lovely places for the last decade are being deported back to Haiti. Not to where they have been living. So we're dumping them into a country that still hasn't recovered from a devastating earthquake a decade ago and a major hurricane a couple of years ago and now the assassination of their president and the political turmoil that entails. Frankly, they may have been better off living under that bridge than going back to Haiti.

What we really have here is the lack of a coherent immigration policy. That policy should take into account the realities of our neighbors to the south (seems we never really have to worry all that much about the countries to our north), and mix that with a healthy dose of compassion and humanity.

We also need to improve the way our Border Patrol handles these migrants. Chasing them back across a river using horses as a form of intimidation isn't the answer. Neither is firing the whole Border Patrol and letting anyone and everyone cross our border. We need to always treat them humanely and compassionately. Doing that requires adequately sized and staffed facilities to temporarily house them and feed them and tend to their medical issues, and then process people through our immigration system. We need sufficient immigration judges to handle the case loads we have, and not make people wait for months or even years to have their cases heard. When people need to be returned to their country of origin - and most illegal immigrants should be returned - we need to treat them like human beings and not like cattle to be herded around. We need to get them to the right country, and we need to make sure they know how to immigrate legally.

There is an awful lot we need to improve here. It is a huge issue. If we want to continue to be a world leader, we need to act like a world leader and not like the bully in the school yard. We need rational, sensible policies that will work in the world we currently inhabit and not the policies that were appropriate a century ago.

--Peter
No. of Recommendations: 1
With the Biden gang, you are guilty & punished before getting a chance to prove innocence.

Sure,Biden arrived at his decision based on a couple still-shots & a few seconds of edited video.

Gee,where have we seen this tactic before?
Sounds good, but a huge percentage of those illegals are unskilled illiterates that will go on the taxpayer dole & make no attempt at assimilating their culture with the rest of the country.
*some* people are now having leaflets - full color gloss, printed in Spanish.

And in small pockets, they are being distributed.

It's a dream coming true.....
No. of Recommendations: 7
Sounds good, but a huge percentage of those illegals are unskilled illiterates that will go on the taxpayer dole & make no attempt at assimilating their culture with the rest of the country.

You giving a pass to all the other unskilled illiterates who came via Ellis Island? Or just landed on our shores before then?
No. of Recommendations: 2
And ... BTW the literacy rate in Guatemala is 94%.
Remember too, Republicans are whining about all those Afghanistan refugees where the literacy rate is 30%
Back then, if you wanted to eat & have a roof over your head, you went to work.There was no social welfare.

Unlike then, today's immigrants can go on the taxpayer paid dole for food, housing,& spending money.
Unlike then, today's immigrants can go on the taxpayer paid dole for food, housing,& spending money.

SO can citizens.

Don't knock it till you've tried it.

I would personally give it a 5 star review....
No. of Recommendations: 16

Pretty sure you're pulling that out of your nether regions:

https://immigrationforum.org/article/fact-sheet-immigrants-a...