Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Big bang theory,

you've got to be kidding.

-God

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 66
Big bang theory,
-God

-----

God?

-scientist
No. of Recommendations: 3
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang, but a whimper

- T. S. Elliot
It's the end of the world as we know it.
And I feel fine.

-REM
No. of Recommendations: 4
God?
-scientist

"God is dead."
--Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead."
--God
No. of Recommendations: 10
Big bang theory,
-God

-----

God?
-scientist

As one who is passionate about both my faith in God and about my love of science, I'd like to point out that the attitudes represented by these two statements present a false dichotomy. There are indeed many people whose religion brings them to dismiss science's claims, and many people whose scientific knowledge brings them to dismiss religion's claims. I consider myself however to be a member of a third group of people who strive to take both seriously. While I've found this to be a rewarding endeavor it is often difficult to do, and not least because of the intense peer pressure from the two groups represented above.

- Joe
As one who is passionate about both my faith in God and about my love of science, I'd like to point out that the attitudes represented by these two statements present a false dichotomy. There are indeed many people whose religion brings them to dismiss science's claims, and many people whose scientific knowledge brings them to dismiss religion's claims. I consider myself however to be a member of a third group of people who strive to take both seriously. While I've found this to be a rewarding endeavor it is often difficult to do, and not least because of the intense peer pressure from the two groups represented above.
- Joe

-----

When the weight of your passion overwhelms your sense of humor, maybe it's time to back up and take a deep breath. It was just a joke.
See the title of this board? Humor and Urban Legends

Rich
-false dichotomy? Hmm, doesn't seem to me there are any more than two choices... either there is a god, or there ain't.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Joe said, "As one who is passionate about both my faith in God and about my love of science, I'd like to point out that the attitudes represented by these two statements present a false dichotomy. There are indeed many people whose religion brings them to dismiss science's claims, and many people whose scientific knowledge brings them to dismiss religion's claims. I consider myself however to be a member of a third group of people who strive to take both seriously. While I've found this to be a rewarding endeavor it is often difficult to do, and not least because of the intense peer pressure from the two groups represented above."

Welcome to the middle of the road group. It is sometimes hard to realize that because one thing is true it does not necessarily mean all other things are false. And yes, many folks not only believe things because they WANT it to be true ... they are often quick to see only two points of view, ours and (according to them) the RIGHT WAY!

Obligatory joke:

Gunny to "boot" (both USMC): You may disagree with me on any matter you wish to and I will respect your opinion. However, please remember to restrict your comments to "YESSIR! THAT IS CORRECT, SIR!!"

DeColonel
No. of Recommendations: 0
God?

-scientist

Making pronouncements about God?

you've got to be kidding
-science
Big Bang Theory?

You've got to be kidding!

- Tom Brady

Zz - trying to rectify the lack of Tom Brady jokes.
Big Bang? I thought that was how Anna Nicole Smith made her billions.

Keith