Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Ticket number one: operating a motorcycle without a license
Ticket number two: not wearing a helmet

The driver of the Chrysler New Yorker also got a ticket for failure to yield. She has been getting death threats on the phone since the accident...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13418383/

Hate to be her insurance company, going to make for some pretty interesting litigation between the two on who is paying for what.

Ya, well if you're driver had yield the right of way the accident wouldn't have happened.

ya, will if you're driver had been wearing a helmet and was licnesed, they may have avoided the accident and sure wouldn't have been hurt as badly as they were.

Ya, well...
Print the post Back To Top
Going to be a fun fight in court. Hope she has more then minimum coverage since once the percentage of liability figure comes out she is probably going to owe a bundle.
ya, will if you're driver had been wearing a helmet and was licnesed, they may have avoided the accident ...
-----
Two separate things - while it's stupid to ride without a license and may or may not be stupid to ride without a helmet, these have little to no bearing on how the accident occurred.

..and sure wouldn't have been hurt as badly as they were.
--
Not necessarily. Helmets help in some types of accidents, don't in others, and can even cause or worsen injuries in other circumstances. They are NOT the motorcycle version of seatbelts. They have gotten quite a bit better in the last few decades though. They used to be designed by engineers, with little to no input from physiologists. Helmets that bounce but don't break? *shudder*
Going to be a fun fight in court. Hope she has more then minimum coverage...
-------
That's exactly what I was thinking. Yuck all 'round.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Not necessarily. Helmets help in some types of accidents, don't in others, and can even cause or worsen injuries in other circumstances. They are NOT the motorcycle version of seatbelts. They have gotten quite a bit better in the last few decades though. They used to be designed by engineers, with little to no input from physiologists. Helmets that bounce but don't break? *shudder*

Considering Big Ben face planted the windshield, and the only other injuries to his body beyond his entire face being basically screwed up was some road rash to the knees - a helmet would have been a huge help.

Milligram46
Believer in helmets
Believer that litigation in this is going to be awful interesting...
Considering Big Ben face planted the windshield, and the only other injuries to his body beyond his entire face being basically screwed up was some road rash to the knees - a helmet would have been a huge help.
----
Clearly - and I admit I wasn't aware of the nature of his injuries. I was speaking in a more general sense, and really have little interest in the motorcycling pecadillos of sports celebrities. Nothing personal against this guy - it's only that they're (as a group) just as - if not more - likely to be doofuses (doofi?), whether riding bikes or driving cages. Of course there's always plenty of doofi just waiting to turn left in front of a biker.. one reason I like running loud pipes (if they "don't see me", maybe they can hear me.. but I digress!)

- have the distinction of making John Elway's jaw drop by calling him an idiot when he skidded his Harley to a stop next to me and asked directions. He was wearing a t-shirt, shorts, flip-flops.. and a helmet. Pah. (and no, I didn't know who he was at the time)

PS - I've always felt ill at ease with windshields - their topmost dimension always seem to end in the middle of my face and it's far too easy to imagine those two items colliding disastrously in an accident. :-P
No. of Recommendations: 1
Helmets help, other that the skull caps, they might meet the law minimums, but I doubt theor effectiveness..

In any case, defensive riding means more, car drivers flat do not see motorcycles, and if you're toppin' up near 70ish, things happen real fast.. I don't recall the fellow's speed at the time, but it had to be up a ways..

Many years ago, late 50s, early 60s, prior to helmet laws, I had a close call or two, reactions, space got me through OK, but I look around and some old buds are missin'... Still remember going into a slide around that old farmer's PU that pulled out of a side road... never went down, but...

weco
Milligram46

I thought it was established that riding in PA without a helmet was legal. Why is he getting a ticket for not wearing one?

FNO

Milligram46

I thought it was established that riding in PA without a helmet was legal. Why is he getting a ticket for not wearing one?
==========================================

It's a Classic Catch 22. Under Penn. law, only licensed motorcycle riders can choose not to wear a helmet. If you are unlicensed, then they can get you for not having a motorcycle AND not wearing a helmet. (According to one of the ESPN.com articles).

(Brilliant way to write the law...............it presumes licensed riders will consciously choose to wear a helmet because they've been trained to understand the risks).

Yoda

It is legal under certain conditions:

1) At least 2 years of licensed motorcycle experience
2) Passed the motorcycle safety course

Since Roethlisberger was unlicensed, he could not ride without a helmet, therefore the second ticket.

Dawn
No. of Recommendations: 1
In any case, defensive riding means more, car drivers flat do not see motorcycles, and if you're toppin' up near 70ish, things happen real fast..
------
Strong agreement.

Slapping a helmet on all motorcyclists doesn't solve the underlying problems with inexperienced/impaired/clueless drivers and riders.

IMNSHO, if the powers that be were sincerely concerned, they'd be pushing education for both drivers and riders, instead of trying to apply a bandaid (aka "helmet") and calling it good.