Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
One of my frustrations in observing the Heels recent decline has been our inability to respond to high pressure half court defense. In particular, our offensive scheme against the sort of hounding defense that Duke plays tends to often involve a pass to the foul circle to one of our big men. Neither Haywood, Lang, or Peppers seems confident to shoot the open 12-17 foot jumper that is created by this sort of pass, though it is fun to watch Peppers try to figure out how many guys he can jump over to dunk it from there. When Capel is shooting well, he can score from this area, but he's a 3 and should be a confident mid-range jump shooter.

Maybe I'm being opportunistic, but I remember legions of Tar Heel centers and power forwards that seemed to happily hoist and make a jumper from around the free throw line. Perkins, Daugherty, Wolf, Lynch all had this shot to a greater or lesser extent. Heck, even Dave Popson and Serge Zwikker slung one in from the free throw line every once in a while.

I think until our big guys expand their offense off the low block, we make ourselves too predictable.

Bolt
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.