Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 11
bighairymike:

<<<Using an obvious TMF example, do you believe that intercst and his apparent lack of traditional work ethic is problematic?

If not what is the difference? - JAFO>>>

---------------------

"Intercst earned his retirement nestegg on his own, LBYM coupled with savvy investing. He did not have his wealth handed to him, and he does not rely on ongoing subsidies (Obamacare aside) of his chosen life style.

That is a considerable difference."

You know your family situation better than I do, and I understand not wanting to post details on a public board, but you have never given any indication that your S was not covering his own expenses, meager as they might have been, without hitting you or his S or other family up for money.

If he was happy living a simple lifestyle, living in an RV, traveling around the country, and paying his own bills, why does it bother you so much?

I cannot tell whether you believe that everyone is obligated to maximize potential earnings, toiling away at work until age 65(or 67), whether you are envious of the choices he made that you did not, or whether the situation embarrasses you because you cannot brag about your lawyer son when speaking to your peers.

Obamacare is a pretty big subsidy. IIRC, intercst believes it is in the range of more than $1,000 month compared to what he expected to be paying.

Are you familiar with the Travis McGee retirement plan - "a beach bum who subscribed to his own peculiar philosophy that retirement [sh]ould be taken not all at the end as an old man but as early and as often as fortune allowed. In short, our days are numbered and not to be wasted battering away at some tedious task for damned fools. It’s not a prosperous life but you get to spend a lot of time in the sun."

John D, McDonald speaking through Travis McGee: "I take my retirement in installments, whenever I can afford it."

See also, Tim Ferriss’ The 4-Hour Workweek and the financially independent, retire early (FIRE) movement. Ferriss refers to the mini retirement. He suggests developing efficiencies in our life and put systems into place so one drop out of the rat race for weeks, maybe even months at a time, before returning to regular life to continue where we left off. Retirement is for now, not tomorrow. Why waste the best years of our lives in pursuit of a retirement when we are old and feeble?

Not a lifestyle for everyone, probably, but not necessarily wrong either.

Regards, JAFO
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.