No. of Recommendations: 2
BIL came down with pancreatic cancer at age 69. His family has a record of cancers in the family

My sis retired from work a year or two earlier than she planned to take care of him. He lasted 16 months after diagnosis......went through some major surgery....chemo...radiation.....sis spent nights nearby the hospital (Johns Hopkins) many times.....or drove the 60 miles each way many times. He was in and out of the hospital probably 40 times in those 16 months with this or that problem. Wasted away. Died at home after losing 40-50 lbs. Nasty way to go.

I see others going through all sorts of radiation and chemo......many other cancers survivable for many years/decades but some get you quick like brain cancers or pancreatic cancer.

Lung cancer can go on for years and years and you go downhill.

Not everyone is going to die in their sleep the day after their 100th birthday party.

Needless to say, my sister did nothing but take care of him for 16 months. 24 hours a day.

t.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.