Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
BIL lost his home last October in the Sonoma Couny Firestorm, here in northern Calif. Included were all his photos, cameras, books, drawings, everything but his wallet, DW's purse, and their cars, one, luckily was in the shop.

So all of us in the family searched out photos, trying to sort out what was lost, but it didn't include all the kitchenware, artwork that wasn't on the walls, or the hundreds of other things, including the contents of their safe, drawers, etc..

I used to keep a Filemaker database, inventory, but that gets tedious, lost in time... Stuff changes, gets donated, trashed, all we can do is sometimes take a run of photos, memory joggers...

Recently I joined some Bell System, and other Telecom Groups in Facebook, folks were posting pics of old telecom gear, tools. So I started looking around, taking photos, posting them. It is surprising what I've found, old tool cases long ignored, so many old tools, specialty things tucked away in case they'd be needed, only to have the bottom drop out, as the company went bankrupt, bout by one, now another, all these bits left behind. An eye opener, even for me as I find things I haven seen for 20 years in some cases... Hard to imagine their value, or what to do with them down the line... And as a long time haunter of flea markets, many other tools as well, I know what their value was, but...

Inventory, kept in a cloud file, backups as well...
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.