No. of Recommendations: 1
Bill, you said it pretty darn well. Nice job, well written, straight and effective. These are exactly the issues I've been dealing with in regards to my own kids, and to a certain extent with my mother and my siblings. It would probably be better for all if there was no inheritance, and that all money had to be given to charity at one's death. Kids would be more self-reliant and charities would have more money for useful purposes (like caring for all those destitute rich kids that lost their meal tickets).
My wife and I are purposely forcing our kids to live below our means, perhaps subjecting them to occasional ridicule for the condition and models of our family cars, lack of video games and no cable TV. I hope that it will instill in them a desire to go to college and become successful on their own so they can buy the things their cheapskate parents won't give them. We get the daily "rolling of the eyes" as we explain that they have to take their lunches to school, and that we won't buy something until its on sale. I tell them that they can do it differently when they have their own place after they graduate.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.