Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
What's your favorite bird book?

My favorite is Birds of New Jersey Field Guide by Stan Tekiela. It has excellent photos and is easy to find birds classified by color.

My New Jersey edition is from 2000. It's starting to fall apart from heavy use. I notice he has editions for most states. I just ordered the Missouri edition. He also has tree identification books. Ordered one of those too.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
I only have two birding books.

My favorite is Birds of New Jersey Field Guide by Stan Tekiela.

Hmm, sounded familiar...So, I grabbed my book, the one that I always grab first that sits right here beside me and it is the "Birds of Virginia Field Guide by Stan Tekiela." :-)

It has excellent photos and is easy to find birds classified by color.

Roger that, hence the reason why I always consult this book first.

My New Jersey edition is from 2000.

I bought mine in early 2010, but it is a 2002 edition. However, I have no reason to upgrade it at the moment because I can always find what I'm looking at/for in this book. :-)

Bill
No. of Recommendations: 0
The go to is the 'Birds of North America' golden book.

Then the New England Audobon guide, which has less about birds, but more about other stuff.

Finally, there is a local bird book for the town I live in written in 1995. More of a field notes. Used to call the author at times with some of the rarer sightings, but he has since passed.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I, too, use primarily the "Birds of North America expanded" and right next to it is the Tekiela "Birds of Illinois" field guide. Plus we have many others that help with ID pictures as their are so many individual variations.

Rich (haywool)