Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
blacktreechaser,

You wrote, Some of the funds might be leveraged.

When I was investigating bond CEFs to purchase back in 2008/2009, I found that almost all were leveraged - usually by 25%. This exaggerates the effect of interest rate swings and does a double-whammy on them.

This was actually a desirable trait at the time since I was trying to catch them near the bottom. I'm not sure I want to buy into them this close to a top. But fear of rate changes can produce leading discounts on these types of issues that are over-blown, so I'm not saying CEFs aren't worth considering - just to be careful.

BTW, an additional risk is that CEF bond leverage is short-term while the bonds held by the CEF are usually long-term. So it seems to me that rising short-term rates puts a squeeze on CEF and reduces the effectiveness of the leverage.

Also in a credit-averse market (like 2008), you run the additional risk that the CEF may be forced to liquidate bonds at the worst-possible time if they are unable to refinance their short-term debt. For me, this meant the CEF needed to be trading at a significant discount relative to an already depressed NAV; but still be backed by a strong issuer.

- Joel
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.