Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
blesto:

I attack from the bottom and the top.

From the Bottom
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll be using a handful of screens, primarily based on valuation metrics and price (looking for big price drops and shares trading near 52-week or historical lows). These screens are definitely bottoms-up, company-specific. But often they lead to finding entire industries that are out of favor.

For instance, six months ago my screens were peppered with retail names like Aropostale (NYSE: ARO), Gymboree (Nasdaq: GYMB) and Buckle (NYSE: BKE). The retail industry has recovered nicely since, but I wasn't searching for an entire industry.

From the Top
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My top down ideas will generally come from simple analysis of more macro events. The perfect example is investing in deepwater offshore drillers and other tangential investments in the wake of the BP (NYSE: BP) Deepwater Horizon fiasco. If you haven't read my recent article, I touch on that: http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2010/11/02/you-need-to...

Any ideas? I'm kicking around a few and should have my first BUY rec out within a few weeks.

Thanks for reading belsto, I look forward to having some fun.

Bryan
TMF42
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.