Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Well, I decided to test my blood sugar two hours after breakfast (this is a time slot I hadn't covered). It was 60. I wasn't feeling my best so the number didn't surprise me. Good thing we have fruit juice in our vending machine. I'll have to make sure I have enough to eat for breakfast tomorrow morning.

Shire
Print the post Back To Top
Be sure to keep an eye on this and talk to your doctor about it. There are many different medications out there, so sometimes you may have to try a couple different ones before you find something that works for you.
No. of Recommendations: 2
You should start carrying around some hard candy or other carb treat with about 20-30g of carbs. You may also want to wear a medical bracelet that identifies you as diabetic in case you go into a hypoglycemic siezure (don't mean to scare you) so that others will know what to do. And you probably should confide in your boss or trusted co-worker at work just in case of an emergency.

Fuskie
Who assures that as you normalize your maintenance processes, the risk of low blood sugar will go down although it will never completely go away...
review my post #1754, and you might want to review the context as well. the advantage of glucose tablets is they are made to rapidly dissolve. but as i said, i think they are unnecessarily expensive. just don't rely on something that will take time to digest, like cookies or crackers etc. even sweet ones, while they might work, are not worth the gamble. juice is best, or, next time you are in a restaurant, swipe 6 bags of sugar that are always at the table for coffee. three to four of those will be enough - 1 teaspoon = ~ 5 gm of sugar. after several instances at which you check your blood sugar 1hr later, you will figure out what you need to titrate back to normal.
Jolly Ranchers are a good glucose tablet alternative.

Fuskie
Who notes they are a quick shot of sugar and the tartness also gets your attention...
No. of Recommendations: 1
And for all the above posts, remember the "rule of 15" (carbs). You can find information related to it on the web, but it means take no more then 15 grams of carbs at a time......to make sure you don't over due it and raise your sugar past your goal.
My favorite candy in the world is Smarties. One regular roll of regular Smarties has 6 grams of carbs. Their only drawback is they crush easily.

http://www.coheso.com/nutridata/Smarties/Smarties/item_detai...

Of course, juice has more than just sugar, so there's that. Please remember it only takes about a half a cup of apple juice to give you 15 grams of carb. Don't get carried away and spike your sugar level through the roof.

Do you have a gram scale to weigh your foods? We got one for our daughter (and for, ahem, me) that has a bunch of pre-programmed foods and automatically calculates the nutrition content for us. We can tell how many carbs are in that slice of apple just by weighing the apple and dialing the code into the scale. We love our scale. There are lots to choose from.

I'm proud of you for caring for yourself. Lifestyle shifts aren't easy, especially when they involve food. You have all our best wishes!

Randy
And one more thought before I go to bed.

I don't know if you are still on the medications that you posted earlier, but I believe you said you take glipizide. That's the one that flogs your pancreas to make more insulin, and more insulin causes lower blood sugar levels. The effect is more pronounced with immediate-release tablets than with extended release tablets.

If this low level wasn't just a one-off event, you will want to talk to your doctor about the balance you need to strike between your glipizide dose, the time you take your dose, and the carbs you eat and when you eat them.

Again, you have all our best wishes. Thanks for listening!

Randy
Hi Randy,

Thanks for the link to the Coheso website!

Do you have a gram scale to weigh your foods? We got one for our daughter (and for, ahem, me) that has a bunch of pre-programmed foods and automatically calculates the nutrition content for us. We can tell how many carbs are in that slice of apple just by weighing the apple and dialing the code into the scale. We love our scale. There are lots to choose from.

No, I don't have a gram scale. I know when I take the diabetes class at the end of January they will be having us count carbs (which I haven't started doing yet). What is the brand name of your scale?

Shire
We use this scale:
http://tinyurl.com/5sqfmn

But really, any digital scale will do.

Now I get to do the night-time poke. Our daughter turns 3 on Sunday, and she's such a good sport about the pokes.

Have a great weekend!

Randy