No. of Recommendations: 16
Blue Collar
It’s a very confusing game to play these names and switch in and out of them. It’s a roll the dice to me.
Steppenwolfs post was the most useful to me as it reminded me that my biggest life changing moves have been to buy and hold AMZN, AAPL, NFLX and time some extent FB, which I still hold as core positions. The first three especially have changed my life. Why I’m able to jump on a plane and hang out on a beach in Kauai when I feel like it.

So for me anyway I try to find companies that I can see holding for a very long time. The two cloud names that fit that for me are AYX and TTD. Those are now core positions for me. The others I own are all very small positions, ESTC, CRWD, MDB, OKTA a little bigger through performance. I almost bought DDOG this morning as my limit order of 33 almost hit and I’m kind of glad it didn’t. Why?

Well I’m still reminded of my concern earlier this year when Wall Street greed saw the opportunity to take advantage of a very hot sector and forced fed the public markets over priced IPOs. That to me was a warning sign of a top, and IMO I was exactly right. I was told not to post it on Sauls board as it wasn’t relevant to their needs, but hey I certainly thought it was worth discussion.

I also still think it’s crazy as in “insane in the membrain” to hold just a handful of cloud stocks as a total portfolio. Yes if it hits you will be extremely happy, but putting all your money on red on a craps table could do the same thing. The one lesson I’ve learned over and over in life is that it’s not that easy, building wealth is a slow process that takes patience, and when a glaring warning sign appears like it did when these IPOs were flooding the market, listen to it. Don’t come up with justifications and new ways to analyze(justify) your position. Better to be flexible and honest.

I’ve been balancing my portfolio with a few ETFs. Two seek value, one larger cap and the other small cap, the other seeks tech momentum. All have been doing well and helping my overall portfolio stay balanced and afloat during this cloud tech sell off.

This is what I’m comfortable with. I’d rather have less major highs, would rather go up slower and steady at this point in my life because the other side of going straight up isn’t fun to live through.

TMB
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.