Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 7
bmaugeri wrote:
Someone explain why I can't.
Not the rules but what gives anyone the legal right to hold my MONEY

The legal right comes from the fact that you agreed to allow your company to deposit your money into an account for you...and make the deposits into the fund(s) you specified. You also agreed to only have certain limited access to the account... You can easily stop contributing to the account, but you might not be able to get the money out without leaving the company you currently work for...

Addressing some other statements...

Why do you consider it a gift???? It is mostly my hard earned money.

The 401k itself IS a gift. The US government does not have to allow people to invest money in a tax-deferred manner...it gives that right as an incentive to get people to save more. The money is still yours...you just might not have immediate access to it.

I think this is all a scam to let the banks have more of our money to play with

Did you feel this way in 1999 when the market was booming? Or is this a new feeling now that the stock market has suffered over the last couple years? If you felt that way in 1999, why didn't you stop contributing then?

I suggest you read up on your 401k plan in detail to find out what exactly you agreed to. (IMO, this should have been done when you started and at any time when new info was provided by the company...but you are not alone in ignoring this step.) If you still don't like the agreement - and the tax-deferred savings - then stop contributing.

ACME
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.