Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
BMW's CPO Program is great. Two additional years of warranty (although NOT bumper to bumper) up to 100K miles. BMW's in general hold their value very well, especially after the first couple of years. However, in the case of the previous generation 7-series cars, these didn't hold their value so well. So the price should be very low on that car, probably no more than 40K. Take a look on www.autotrader.com to get a feel for what the prices are in your area. But the prices on these cars have really fallen, so don't believe the salesman if they tell you otherwise.

Also you should know that the 7-series cars were very expensive and very complicated cars. This results in very expensive and complicated repairs. You should not expect to just be able to pay for the car and not have to deal with paying for some repairs. The CPO warranty will not cover nearly everything (see www.bmwusa.com for description of what it covers), and you need to expect to pay a certain amount of money out of pocket for repairs.

But with that said, if you know what you are getting into, the previous generation 7 series car is an incredible value considering they are currently selling in the high $30,000's. This a car that sold only a couple of years ago for $70K+. I don't expect depreciation to be much of a factor if you pay the right price for this car.

Also one thing to note is that the new 7 has not really taken off as well as BMW would hope. Therefore, there are some pretty incredible lease deals out there, if leasing makes sense for you.

yep, i've been daydreaming about picking up an '00 or '01 sport version, either 740i or, if i can afford it 740iL (which i can't which is why i'm daydreaming). :-) I found an '01 740I sport (you know what that means!) on ebay w/ about 50kish miles for about 29k plus wiggle room for negotiating.

If I was in the market for a *nice* car, that's what I would have bought, hands down. Definitely good value there. Not, mcdonalds value meal, value mind you, but if you are going to spend big bucks, you'll get a hecuva lot of bang for them, kinda value.
Print the post  

Announcements

Beware Flood-Damaged Cars
Know what you are getting, don't get stuck with a Katrina victim. Check these links before you buy.
Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.