Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
A while back, there were postings about LBYM vacation ideas for Italy. There were some detailed suggestions about Florence and Venice. Does anyone know of a sensibly-priced bed-n-breakfast in Rome? I'm going there for a honeymoon in later September/early October...

Thanks,

Jeff
Print the post Back To Top
Go to your local library and check out a couple of the travel books aimed at the budget-minded (Frommers, Rough Guide, Lonely Planet, Let's Go). The bulk of the hotels that they recommend are reasonably priced bed and breakfast type places. However, be forewarned that Rome (like most large cities) can be expensive. We spent a week in September there a few years ago and spent around $100/night at a comfortable but certainly not luxurious hotel.

No. of Recommendations: 1
Go to your local library and check out a couple of the travel books aimed at the budget-minded (Frommers, Rough Guide, Lonely Planet, Let's Go).

Also, look at Rick Steeve's Europe Through the Back Door books. His philosophy of travel is to build relationships with the people around you and recommends spots based on their warmness, reception to visitors, willingness to provide info, as well as budget considerations. (Cuts your expenses a lot if you get invited to someone's home for dinner! ... Though you might be too busy to enjoy that!)

- KK
Please don't go "bargain basement" on the hotel in Rome. I did just that in my college days and I regreted it. It was a seedy damp place and I didn't get a wink of sleep.

Spend a little extra and sleep alot.

Ana
In college, I spent a semester travelling--I mean studying--in Italy. I found the Berekley guide to Italy very helpful in locating inexpensive places to stay that weren't, well, gross. Also, if you end up somewhere you aren't totally satisfied, go to the tourist info office (in the train station? I can't remember where it is exactly, but it should say in any guide book worth its salt) and ask them what they've got in your price range. Most often they can give you a heads up in the right direction.

I picked up the Berekely Guide at a B+N right before I left.
have a wonderful time...
and go down the amalfi coast if you get a chance...and beware the food in venice!
sigh.

rmf
No. of Recommendations: 1
Also, if you end up somewhere you aren't totally satisfied, go to the tourist info office (in the train station? I can't remember where it is exactly, but it should say in any guide book worth its salt) and ask them what they've got in your price range.

Basically every town has a tourist office in the train station. I highly recommend finding hotels through the tourist office. The tourist office basically represents the town, so they will not send you to some seedy low-class, over-priced joint, which is a LOT more than I can say for Frommers! They can book you a room right there, call for a cab and recommend a restaurant. IMO, the hotels in the guide books tend to be a bit spendy (I think because they're in the guide book everyone goes there so they can charge more). I think you get a better deal going through the tourist office.

I stayed at a place called the Stargate in Rome. That was in 1999. I came in by train and the suggestion for the tourist office is excellent, but MAKE SURE YOU GO INTO THE TOURIST OFFICE.

In Italy there are people out there offereing stays in private rooms who are basically scammers. Sometimes they rip people off so beware. I had a Lonely Planet and was heading for the fawlty towers hostel, but it was full. I met a girl standing outside it and she told me about a place that sells walking tours of Rome and helps book rooms. I don't recall the name of the booking place though, sorry. I took a tour of Pompee with them too.

I was hosteling it, but I know the Stargate did both dorm type and individual rooms.

Funny story about the hotel. I read in the guide book that Italians are quite boisterous in their arguing. It said don't be put off by this. As I was climbing the stairs up to the hotel, the people at the desk were yelling at each other quite loudly. When tehy saw me.. they both stopped immediately and smiled broadly "can I help you?" the woman asked. I couldn't help but chuckle. It was right there.. in the book..

OiVey
<<A while back, there were postings about LBYM vacation ideas for Italy. There were some detailed suggestions about Florence and Venice. Does anyone know of a sensibly-priced bed-n-breakfast in Rome? I'm going there for a honeymoon in later September/early October...>>
Well-- there's a place on the Gianiculo called Villa Bassi (Via Giacinto Carini, 24, 00152 Rome, Tel.: 39-06-581-5329/5333), which is by no means fancy, nor is it a B&B, but it's very clean and inexpensive, and there are a lot of espresso bars nearby for breakfast. It's around the corner from the American Academy in Rome, so a lot of grad student/academic types stay there. I'm not sure if any of the rooms have bathrooms in them, but the showers are immaculate. Most of the staff speak decent English if you don't have much/any Italian. The Gianiculo is a really nice location-- easy access to buses, a 20 minute walk into Trastevere for (inexpensive) restaurants and 25-30 minutes to the Vatican, through a lovely park with the most amazing panoramic views of Rome. If you had an hour and good shoes, you could walk to the Forum (or, well, you could just take a bus).

Be very careful of the area around Termini, the major train station. Many of the hotels there are downright scary.

Good luck!