Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 40
A horse walks into a bar and the bartender says, “So why the long face?”

You may find that humorous, or you may not. There’s probably an equestrian somewhere who is not laughing. Humor is subjective, and while we cannot always agree on what’s funny, we should all be able to agree that some humor can be hurtful and offensive.

With that in mind, we are rebooting the Humor and Urban Legends discussion board with some clear rules that will allow Fools to enjoy this board, but not at the expense of others.

The Motley Fool champions active and open discussion among our members in a civil and respectful manner when you are posting on the Community Boards. Fools are expected to treat this board Foolishly, in the same way Fools are expected to treat all forums on fool.com, with respect for and an openness to others. For guidance, please read Section 7 from the Fool Terms and Conditions: https://www.fool.com/legal/terms-and-conditions/fool-rules/

The Motley Fool may, at any time and without prior notice, and at our sole discretion, remove any post or take any action for violating the Fool Terms and Conditions, or otherwise posting comments deemed disruptive to the Humor and Urban Legends forum.

Although this discussion board is being monitored, if you believe a post violates the Fool Terms and Conditions or the humorous spirit of this board, please report it using a Fool Alert, and the post will be reviewed. If a post is removed, all subsequent replies and comments may be removed as well.

However, just because a post is reported does not mean it will be removed. A post will not be removed just because you did not find it funny.

General Guidelines:

Here are five rules of thumb:

1. Post jokes and stories that are playful, intended to generate laughs, giggles or at the very least a reluctant groan. Remember that humor in print often loses some of the characteristics that make it funny when told verbally or visually.

2. Post jokes and stories that avoid words and phrasing that might be misunderstood or lead a fellow Fool to take the comments personally.

3. Post jokes and stories that could not be deemed sexual in nature. Remember that any humor should be family friendly.

4. Post jokes and stories that could not be deemed offensive or discriminatory to one’s gender, gender identity or orientation, race, religion, culture, national origin, disability, or as personal attacks against an individual.

5. Post jokes and stories that are not politically partisan in nature, intended to demean one’s views and beliefs or enflame anger in others.

And finally, remember the topic of the board. If the board goes off on tangents, political or otherwise, they will be deemed “off-topic” and removed.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 24
Here are five rules of thumb:

That list eliminates about 90% of the humor on the planet. As Robert De Niro said in the movie 'The Untouchables', we laugh because it's funny and we laugh because it's true. Too bad HURL humor is subject to PC scrutiny.

Rope
No. of Recommendations: 11
My issue is that it would be so incredibly easy for an individual to be offended by almost any joke or humorous story posted here.

One of the most common joke categories from the very beginning of time are blonde jokes. A good number of those posted here were by female contributors. Many were not originals as they have been around in one form or another forever. Yet all of them could easily run afoul of several of the 5 rules listed.

Paul Simon wrote a song many years ago called One Man's Floor is Another Man's Ceiling. One's tastes and sense of humor are very personal things. What one finds very funny, someone else may well consider it offensive. I was never a big fan of Richard Pryor, George Carlin, Andrew Dice Clay, Louis CK, Sara Silverman or going way back Lenny Bruce. Many people liked them as long as the proper ox was being gored. When people like Carlin made fun of some of their fans hypocrisy, the fans got upset.

My common rule of thumb is that if I do not like what one is saying, I can change the channel or not buy their books, CDs or DVDs. I don't want someone removed from the stage simply because some people don't like what they are saying. That goes for comedians or people invited to a venue to discuss and debate a particular issue. Let each person defend their side and leave it up to each listener or reader decide for themselves.

Some comedians on my list above were needlessly crude while not being very funny IMO. When one is talented, they don't need the gimmick of profanity to be funny. Others obviously disagreed with me. All of them enjoyed visible success to go along with their controversies. They also had their share of personal problems too. I suppose that all goes with the territory.

The sad part for me is that live and let live has become passe.

BG
No. of Recommendations: 8
BG, we're not going to go overboard in removing posts. I'm much less concerned about blonde jokes than I am about jokes that are racial or homophobic in nature, for example.

If you were to post about a blonde complaining that her bag of M&M's only contained W's, I don't think anyone is going to really have a problem. ;-)

I'm not looking to be overly heavy handed. We just want it Foolish.

Thanks!
Tony
No. of Recommendations: 4

“One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.”
? Robert A. Heinlein
No. of Recommendations: 12
"I'm much less concerned about blonde jokes than I am about jokes that are racial or homophobic in nature, for example."

Not all jokes about race and gays are racist and homophobic.
But I guess other stereotypes are ok.

It seems to me that you don't actually understand humor.
It also seems to me that you must have been offended by a one particular post or thread that touched a nerve for you. And you overreacted.

I used to visit this board every day and while there might have been an occasional off-color joke and a whole lot of just plain silliness and childish jokes, the board was MUCH less political, racist, homophobic etc. than pretty much any other board. (and I have more than 50 boards I follow).

There was no warning, no flurry of FA'd posts, just a sudden closure.

I'm glad you decided to re-open it.

You might want to consider an apology for your hasty action.
I can live with this Tony. Thanks for clarification on the rules. Can we hold you to these, or is that also "subjective"? (o:

Thanks (also) for reopening HURL; as you can see, there are many avenues for us here. If one door closes, another is found that is still unlocked... Good to have this door unlocked again.

Please note that you may be receiving more reports. This being said, please consider how you'll be dealing with this, long-term. Not all of us will put up with "subjective all the time". Please consider when and how a foot is needed to be "put down". May be more often than not since some humans can't learn, till they get a swift kick in the...

Thanks man...
PL
No. of Recommendations: 9
If you were to post about a blonde complaining that her bag of M&M's only contained W's, I don't think anyone is going to really have a problem. ;-)

I'm offended. I thought it contained sigmas.

PSU
No. of Recommendations: 5

I'm offended. I thought it contained sigmas.

So a blonde, a mountain climber and an engineer are sharing a bag of candies...

Mike
No. of Recommendations: 1
Thank You for reconsidering.
It's been a long time for it to go missing.

Chas
Well done, Tony!

Thank you.

OJ:

Q - What do you call a hippies wife?

A - Mississippi

:)

AW
No. of Recommendations: 3
Thanks Tony!

I was ready to be missing HURL. It was always great when you were put on hold.

I don't post jokes because . . .I guess I am not funny. But a rec for a good joke is always there.

Some Famous person said "a joke is intended to make fun of someone, something or some group" so:

Post jokes and stories that could not be deemed offensive or discriminatory to one’s gender, gender identity or orientation, race, religion, culture, national origin, disability, or as personal attacks against an individual.

will be hard to adhere to, except the last one.

jC
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

OJ:
Computer tip: http://i.imgur.com/EOe3DqZ.jpg?1
No. of Recommendations: 3
"4. Post jokes and stories that could not be deemed offensive...."

But, but, but...

https://ibb.co/JpgJm8v

RayB