Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can tell me how to have my boards display threads from the most recent post to the oldest. When I go to one of my favorite boards the posts (threads) are displayed from back in May so I have to keep clicking "next" to get to the most recent posts, and since it's a popular board it takes a very long time. The "Date" column isn't able to be clicked to change so I'm wondering how to have threads display in descending order from newest to oldest.

Any help is appreciated.

Len
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
After you click to bring you forward, are you reading one of the posts? Typically, when you open a board, it will go back to the last post that you read.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I'm hoping someone can tell me how to have my boards display threads from the most recent post to the oldest. When I go to one of my favorite boards the posts (threads) are displayed from back in May so I have to keep clicking "next" to get to the most recent posts, and since it's a popular board it takes a very long time. The "Date" column isn't able to be clicked to change so I'm wondering how to have threads display in descending order from newest to oldest.

Do you really want to go to the last message on each board, or do you want an easier way to see what you haven't read? Clicking on the number of the last message (found on the AUTHOR line of each message) gets you to the last message quickly!

I use my.fool.com to access all of my favorite boards that have new messages, and it goes directly to the first message after the last message read. This is the most efficient way that I've found to access new messages, but most internal links to this page seem to have been eliminated over the years.

Happy hunting!
No. of Recommendations: 1
When I go to one of my favorite boards the posts (threads) are displayed from back in May so I have to keep clicking "next" to get to the most recent posts

Hi Len. Don't know if this will help or not but you might consider reading in "Threaded" mode. Then list all your "Favorite Boards" and take note of the highest message number in each board you are interested in. Then go into the individual boards and enter the high message number. You won't get to read anything today but tomorrow and going forward you should be in good shape.

That's just this old man's way of doing it. There may be many other ways as some have already suggested.

Good luck.

Regards,

ImAGolfer
No. of Recommendations: 2
In the Reader View, there are three ways to read the boards:

Unthreaded Mode: Discussion board posts are listed in chronological order. This is the default setting. In this mode, the next post you read could be a new post, could be a reply to the previous post, or could be a reply to a past post. The subject lines for replies in Unthreaded mode are prefixed with Re: and the subject itself is a hyperlink which will take you back to the original post. However, from the original post, there is no way to automatically find any of the replies.

Threaded Mode: Discussion board posts are grouped according to their subject. For example, a new post titled How do I invest? would be followed sequentially by all the replies to that post, followed by the next new post. The subject lines for replies in Threaded mode are prefixed with Re: and the subject itself is a hyperlink which will take you back to the original post. From the original post, you can simply click Next to view all the replies.

Whole Thread: Discussion board posts are not only grouped according to their subject, but they are all listed on the same displayed page, with the original post followed by all its replies. You can reply to any post in the thread and it will be added to the end of the list.

When reading a discussion board post, you'll notice two links on the bottom-right side of the screen, titled PREV and NEXT.. Clicking either one will take you to the previous or next message in chronological order. In Unthreaded mode, this will take you to the next/previous posted message. In Threaded mode, this will take you to the next/previous message in the thread, or to the next/previous thread if at the end/beginning of a thread. In Threaded and Whole Thread mode, the Next Thread/Previous Thread buttons will take you to the next/previous thread.

If you know the message # of a post, you can enter it into the Number box and click the GO button. You can also go to the sequentially last message for a discussion board by clicking the message number to the left of the GO button.

If you like the post, click on the Recommend it! button. The number of recommendations the post has received is listed below. If you believe the post violates the Fool Code of Conduct, click on the Report Post button. Enter the reason you reported the post to the Fool Moderators and click Submit This Fool Alert button. Your report will be reviewed and appropriate action taken. You and/or the author of the reported post may or may not be contacted further about the result.

If you click on the name of the discussion board (not the ticker symbol), you will enter Navigation View, which lists post subjects, the author, the number of Recs received, the date of the post and the post number. You can scroll forward and back through the list of posts using a date range specified in the drop-down menu between the scroll buttons. Navigation Mode also offers Unthreaded and Threaded views. In Threaded mode, you can expand and collapse the replies to the original threaded post. You can also create new Posts and Polls.

In both Reader View and Navigation View, clicking on a company's ticker symbol (if reading a company board) takes you to that company's Profile Snapshot Page. Clicking an unchecked red heart adds the discussion board to your Favorite Boards list (separate from the Favorite Stocks list). You can manage your list of Favorite Boards by clicking the Customize menu option.

You can also click on any Author hyperlink to view their Foolish profile page. For TMF and CMF Fools, this includes the disclosure of the complete list of investments on the Info tab.

Fuskie
Who notes the TMF Community Discussion Boards can seem daunting at first but after a little practice, they are easy to navigate...

-----
Premium Home Fool: Ask me a Foolish Question, I'll give you a Foolish Response!
Ticker Guide: The Walt Disney Company (DIS), Intuit (INTU), Live Nation (LYV), CME Group (CME), MongoDB (MDB), Trip Advisor (TRIP), Vivendi SA (VIVHY), Mimecast (MIME), Hain Celestial (HAIN), Royce Micro Capital Trust (RMT)
Disclaimer: This post is non-professional and should not be construed as direct, individual or accurate advice
Disassociation: The views and statements of this post are Fuskie's and are not intended to represent those of The Motley Fool or any other sane body
Disclosure: May own shares of some, many or all of the companies mentioned in this post (tinyurl.com/FuskieDisclosure)
Fool Code of Conduct: https://www.fool.com/legal/the-motley-fools-rules.aspx#Condu...
Invitation: You are invited to interactively watch Motley Fool Live online television: https://livechat.fool.com
Call to Action: If you like this or any other post, Rec it. Better yet, reply to it. Even better, start your own thread. This is YOUR TMF Community!