Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Are songs just another commodity like California real estate? Hedge Funds getting creative on assets. I guess you can invest in absolutely anything.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Anything with a cash stream can be bought or sold.

Dylan probably wants liquidity for his estate and financial markets can step in and provide it.
No. of Recommendations: 0
Investor Groups are buying houses and land where I live. They then have to maximize their returns so they rent it out for as much as possible. This has a bad effect on the housing and rental markets. seeing everything as a commodity has its side effects.
welcome back downisland!

too many of the folks from the old board not around.

BTW, I think it was David Bowie who first sold off his song catalog in 1997

https://money.cnn.com/2016/01/11/media/bowie-bonds-royalties...
Pretty smart if you ask me. MUCH easier for an estate to deal with a specific amount of cash vs. a song catalog.

A family friend was the daughter of a singer who had very mild success back in the early 80's (we're talking 2-3 top 100 hits) and she said the all out war that erupted in the family over the rights when her mom died was crazy, especially since she said royalties were at that point (late 2012) a couple thousand a year, possibly $10k if a commercial used a song.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Welcome back! You didn't happen to bring MichaelServet with you did you? :-)
A few years back when California Real estate was a hot investment option, I questioned it; I thought that "Value" was something that could be calculated based upon reliable numbers and forecasts. California real estate just seemed like a wing and a prayer to me. Now it is Music and songs, maybe? I'm not sure this is "value" investing. Someone here once told me that Value is where you find it. Yes but things seem to be getting more wishful than real. Also the stock market at 30,000 ? Can all the bad news really be priced in? There seems to be a hype going on somewhere. I'm in cash now but wanted to check in with my old friends.Berkshire is the only stock I would feel comfortable owning.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I recommend the following Yahoo Finance article which talks about how songs are predictable income in a yield hungry world. Here's the money quote:
“If you're buying a portfolio of copyrights that have been cranking out predictable income over a long period of time, then volatility is low. The assets are long-lived, low volatility, and uncorrelated to the stock market. In a zero-to-low interest rate environment, which we’ve been in for a long time and will continue to be for the foreseeable future, investors are chasing returns. As growth of streaming music has increased, the consumption and discoverability of music and the value of music publishing assets as well as recorded music assets has increased.”
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/whats-really-behind-bob-dylan...