Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Bob Said:
(at least 105% of last year's liability if this year's AGI is at least $150,000)

Make that "at least 105% of last year's liability if last year's AGI was at least $150,000".

I previously thought it was Bob's way. I always wondered how you would know for sure in advance if you needed to withhold extra. I've since read the rules carefully.

Also note that the 105% value is not fixed. It is changing gradually over the next seven years or so. It's also hard to find in IRS documents. It's not mentioned at all in the 1040 instructions, though the "100% of last year" is! Grrr!
TurboTax made it pretty easy to find the number, and the schedule of future changes to that number.

- LoopinFool (who is only paying attention to all this due to a large 401(k)->IRA->Roth conversion this year)
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.