Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 6
Bobbybe,

Thanks for posting this. I read the article but I am not convinced yet. The advantage of snowflake is that it is able to store both structured and non-structured data. However someone still needs to sift through it to find actionable information and it has to be timely. The way he has explained is the data is coming into s3 (amazon storage) from all these various machines and then he will move this into Snowflake and then run analysis. The goal needs to be try and provide metrics almost real time. Most of the APM tools do that. Data dog is trying to provide this in near real time. So I am not sure what benefit observe will be able to drive.

I am just not impressed at the moment. Snowflake has become a buzzword like Hadoop was once. Admittedly, its far superior to Hadoop. In fact it may have used Hadoop architecture to simplify the end user experience. I am not familiar with snowflake architecture per se but thats not the point I am trying to make. All I am saying is the way its explained in the article collecting data from s3 and putting in Snowflake which can lead to eventual analysis is too long. Whereas, the value is in real time analysis. Of course this is just my impression from reading it. I may be missing something since I cant believe someone is building a tool that is not able to do real time analysis. Eventual analysis, there are dime a dozen.

This is just my 2 cents from what I could understand.

- Ruhaan
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.