Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
The Lost: A Search for Six of Six Million by Daniel Mendelsohn.

impolite
wants to finish it this weekend
Print the post Back To Top
The Lost: A Search for Six of Six Million by Daniel Mendelsohn.

impolite
wants to finish it this weekend

And did you? What did you think?

I think it's an amazing book. And so beautifully written, his prose makes me green with envy.

- Pam (recommended it to a colleague at work)
Counting on Grace

incredibly depressing book about a 12yo girl working in a cotton mill in New England at the turn of the century.
Just the whole way people lived, what the families did to themselves just to put food on the table, and how even at that it was a better life than where many of them left.
It is a fictional account, but it seems like novelized fact, as in, the people may be made up, but similar events probably happened.

peace & child labor
t
I read "The Other Boleyn Girl" over the weekend. Enjoyed the book, but it's funny now I DON'T want to see the movie.
Out of curiousity, have any of you all heard of bookcrossing.com?

Minxie
Yes, I set free two books a couple years ago. Never heard anything about them again.

There's another site where you can register your dollar bills' serial numbers and track where they go if someone else checks the bill in. (No link, sorry.) One of mine turned up a year later fifty miles away. That's kinda neat.

Did sort of feel like I had too much time on my hands, though.
Yes, I set free two books a couple years ago. Never heard anything about them again.

Where did you release them? I feel kind of funny about leaving a book any old place. :-)

Minxie
One in the laundromat where I caught it, the other three by putting them on the bookshelf in the local Goodwill.
It's dense (in a good way), to me. Or maybe so interesting that I am concentrating.

At any rate, this means I'm only getting 60 or so pages in on any given day, because the kids are making the noise MUST THEY ALWAYS MAKE NOISE and BF keeps forgetting that I am reading and asking me questions so I have to re-read that last sentence and the dog has to go outside AGAIN and yes, I know everyone is getting hungry I'll make dinner since it seems the lot of you would die without me here to scavenge for food damnitall already.

So. I'm not done yet. But so far, it's great. I can't even remember where I read about it, but I think I'll read a bunch of the books HE mentions reading, too.

impolite
There's another site where you can register your dollar bills' serial numbers and track where they go if someone else checks the bill in. (No link, sorry.)

www.wheresgeorge.com
I can't even remember where I read about it

Possibly from me. I wrote a review about it on my blog in February.

It's dense (in a good way), to me. Or maybe so interesting that I am concentrating...But so far, it's great.

To me, it's one of those life-changing books; the sort where you never look at the world in quite the same way again. Although we're taught about the Holocaust, and I knew several survivors, I hadn't ever considered it from a personal perspective. The survivors often didn't talk about it, so all I knew really was from TV.

- Pam
Possibly from me. I wrote a review about it on my blog in February.

Yes, that's it!

I knew I'd heard of it recently, because it was on a sticky note on the cubical wall, which means I haven't had a chance to add it to The Reading List yet, that I keep in the drawer. And when I went to the library last time, I just took the sticky note with me.

Anyway, I'm enjoying it immensely, so thanks!

impolite
yes, I know everyone is getting hungry I'll make dinner since it seems the lot of you would die without me here to scavenge for food damnitall already.

BF does the dishes, right?
BF does the dishes, right?

Oh yes. He even cooks, roughly 50% of the time.

But, the whole of the house seems to go into turmoil when I'm not paying attention to them. Suddenly, I am needed. Dinner is In My Hands, as if it’s some feat of nature that must be wrestled and conquered.

Considering how well I was enjoying the book, they’re all lucky I didn’t throw the Cheerios at them with a grunt, threaten their lives and then hide in my car, in the garage, with my book and my tea...

impolite
only managed leftovers, at that
Cool, thanks!

Minxie
when I get a Where's George dollar I log it, and then intentionally keep it set aside in my "travel dollars" so that I spend it really far away, and then, also, in an airport if possible, to increase the chances that it will travel more.

peace & hand offs
t
I read "The Other Boleyn Girl" over the weekend. Enjoyed the book, but it's funny now I DON'T want to see the movie.

In this instance, I'd recommend not seeing the movie. It isn't worth it. I want to read the book because I've heard an interview by the author that makes me think it's going to be good. I saw the movie first and I was disgusted by the utter disregard for historical accuracy and "Hollywoodization" of the story.

MOI
I read that same book last weekend too. I hear that the book is so much better than the movie. (I haven't seen the movie yet)
I may go see it though in a couple weeks. I always like to compare books with the movie to see what was better!
I've done that with most all of the Stephen King books I've read in the past.

In this instance, I'd recommend not seeing the movie. It isn't worth it. I want to read the book because I've heard an interview by the author that makes me think it's going to be good. I saw the movie first and I was disgusted by the utter disregard for historical accuracy and "Hollywoodization" of the story.

MOI
-----------
MOI-
A few others have told me that the movie was terrible. So, maybe I'll skip it altogether. The book really was good though, I couldn't put it down. Didn't get a LOT done because I kept reading it (instead of housework LOL)
I bet you will really like the boook too.
Allison
A few others have told me that the movie was terrible. So, maybe I'll skip it altogether. The book really was good though, I couldn't put it down. Didn't get a LOT done because I kept reading it (instead of housework LOL)
I bet you will really like the boook too.
Allison

Thanks. I'll get to it someday. I'm on a waiting list at the library.

MOI
I want to read the book because I've heard an interview by the author that makes me think it's going to be good. I saw the movie first and I was disgusted by the utter disregard for historical accuracy and "Hollywoodization" of the story.

A lifetime-and-three employers ago, the author was a client of the accounting firm where I worked. IIRC, she has an advanced degree in history.

- Pam
I want to read the book because I've heard an interview by the author that makes me think it's going to be good. I saw the movie first and I was disgusted by the utter disregard for historical accuracy and "Hollywoodization" of the story.
--------------
A lifetime-and-three employers ago, the author was a client of the accounting firm where I worked. IIRC, she has an advanced degree in history.

Exactly how she sounded, like she'd done very exacting research and knew her Tudors. She said she'd held documents (deeds and letters) in her hands that proved certain things and that some historians were coming round to agreeing with her take on the matters.

Unfortunately, because the movie botched things so badly, I'm not sure which matters she had a different take on. There are a few events in the movie that intrigue me as possibilities and some that assault me as absolutely rubbish.

So now I need to read the book to find out what she really meant to communicate.

MOI
No. of Recommendations: 1
To me, it's one of those life-changing books; the sort where you never look at the world in quite the same way again.

Finished this.

I think this is the first time I really grasped that they weren't even allowed to flee for their lives - they were stuck, waiting to die. I knew this, conceptually, but it didn't really get deep down in the recesses until now.

Good book.

impolite