Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Have you an author or story that you love, but they're out of print and you don't know anyone else who's read these books? Then, please, tell me about them.

For example, I saw a recommendation for the "Don Camillo" books written by Giovanni Guareschi, and searched them out. Hooray for the Harold Washington Library. These are charming short stories about a parish priest in the Po Valley in Italy and his arch enemy, Peppone, the communist mayor of the village. The time frame is after WWII. They're light-hearted and Guareschi treats his characters with humor and dignity.

So many old and out of print books are worth reading.

Thuvia
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
For example, I saw a recommendation for the "Don Camillo" books written by Giovanni Guareschi, and searched them out. Hooray for the Harold Washington Library. These are charming short stories about a parish priest in the Po Valley in Italy and his arch enemy, Peppone, the communist mayor of the village. The time frame is after WWII. They're light-hearted and Guareschi treats his characters with humor and dignity.

I've read those! They're great stories. They really give a picture of the texture of post-war life in Italy. I find many Americans are unaware of how close Italy came to going over to the commies after WWII, so the character of the mayor is a surprise to them.

-mapletree
One of my favorite all-time books was out of print for ages and last year was re-released in trade size. War for the Oaks by Emma Bull is set in "modern" 80s Minneapolis/St. Paul, and covers a territory war between the Seelie and Unseelie Court of the Fey. The author had a girl band at one time, so music is highly used through-out. And the ending isn't the sort of make you throw the book anywhere.

Another book I enjoyed in college and finally "refound" was "Burning Down the Night" by Craig Key Strete (?), an "autobographical" novel from the POV of a 15 yo native american kid in LA in the 60s who meets and runs around with a pre-Doors Jim Morrison. The book wavers between hilariously funny to about as grim and dark as you could imagine. I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I had recalled, but if you like Jim Morrison or that era of sex, drugs and rock and roll, you may find it of interest, if you can find it. An early amazon.com search found me a copy for $90 which I turned down. I think I ended up paying $30 or so.

If you want to find used/OOP books online, check www.half.com, part of E-bay. So far, I have found several books that I was looking for and couldn't find locally (usually history or anthropology books) and for usually decent prices (unless really scarce and really old).

Good hunting!
Did you read "Comrade Don Camillo"? "Three Stalks of Wheat" about Italians who died in Russia during WWII was almost unbearably poignant.

The love/hate relationship with Peppone was always entertaining. This is a series I plan on haunting used book stores for.

Thuvia
No. of Recommendations: 1
If you want to find used/OOP books online, check www.half.com, part of E-bay. So far, I have found several books that I was looking for and couldn't find locally (usually history or anthropology books) and for usually decent prices (unless really scarce and really old).

Another place to try to find out of print books is http://www.abebooks.com/

They have very good search features and a wide variety.

Dawn
Another place to try to find out of print books is http://www.abebooks.com/

Ooooh, more resources! Thanks, Dawn

Moonglade
Thanks. I know about half.com and abe.com. However I need names, baby, names. Any good book recommendations?

Thuvia
Yeah, and skip Sundiver and just start with Startide Rising.

Thanks. Star Tide Rising was the book I read. I'm sure the library has Sundiver.

Thuvia
Thuvia, I would just move on to book 3. Sun Diver is kind of a prequel to the whole series. I didn't read it until after all the rest.

Did you read "Comrade Don Camillo"? "Three Stalks of Wheat" about Italians who died in Russia during WWII was almost unbearably poignant.

The love/hate relationship with Peppone was always entertaining. This is a series I plan on haunting used book stores for.

D'oh! I don't know....it's been a while. And I read them in Italian, so I wouldn't recognize the English titles. Sorry!

If you ever see any of the movies, snap them up as well. They're classics, with a great international ensemble cast.

-mapletree