Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
I have finally finished Yuval Noah Harari’a latest book, Homo Deus: A brief history of tomorrow., which is a sequel to his Sapiens: A brief History of Mankind, (Which I have not read.) The book is 400+ pages of small type and a few pictures. It is dense.

It is broken into three parts. The first (shortest) is how Homo Sapiens conquered the earth. Yeah, it’s that big brain, but the real conquering required organization, which required some myths, such as religion, states, etc. Then he goes on to How Homo Gave Meaning to the world in part two. Here I found I had issues with some of his claims, but he defends himself well. He sees Humanism as a religion, for instance. After a while, I can see his point. I also take (or at least took) issue with his assertion of “No Free Will”. Maybe he has no free will, but I do, I am convinced of it. He goes on to state that we are algorithms. Not unlike computer algorithms. After a bit of explaining, I tend to agree. He ventures out to defining super men. Some folks are already talking of immortality. But our myths enabled the Europeans to conquer the earth again, as a culture.

I had to take a respite after Part 2.

In Part 3, Homo Sapiens loses control. To whom? Why to ourselves and our algorithms. He speculates about superhumans developing. Aided by artificial intelligence. Some of his musings made me think of cyborgs, or of Storm Troopers and Darth Vader, in their supercharged suits of extra intelligence/ability. Are the Storm Troopers cyborgs? Vader? He gives examples of research bringing us close to that possibility.

All in all, I can recommend the book. Not light entertainment, but worth the read.

CNC
... Duplicate post on AF.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.