Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
A preteen seems interested in a career in engineering.

There must be books out there about major engineering projects. Any well written, suitable for preteens?

Who's the most famous engineer? Brunel in Britain. In the US?

Google says A Look at 8 Famous Civil Engineers
1) Squire Whipple. Born 1804 in Hardwick, Massachusetts, Squire Whipple quickly distinguished himself as a student. ...
2) Isambard Kingdom Brunel. ...
3) John Smeaton. ...
4) Gustave Eiffel. ...
6) Karl von Terzaghi. ...
7) John A. Roebling

Here are some well-known mechanical engineers and their major contributions to society.
Nikola Tesla. ...
Kitaw Ejugu. ...
James Watt. ...
George Stephenson. ...
Aurel Stdola. ...
Kate Gleason. ...
Ludwig Prandtl.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1

There must be books out there about major engineering projects. Any well written, suitable for preteens?

I’m not aware of any. I haven’t looked. When I was that age I was very interested in space exploration and military programs.

Who's the most famous engineer? Brunel in Britain. In the US?

The most famous individual engineers in the US are probably the Wright Brothers, followed by Thomas Edison.

You might look for histories on projects based on the kid’s interests.
• the Apollo program.
• the Bletchley Park code breakers during WW2.
• the Manhattan project.
• building the SR-71, the Concorde, or the Boeing 747.

I’m sure I’ll think of more, later.

Regards,

- HCF
No. of Recommendations: 1

I'd recommend something more relate-able like "The Way Things Work" by David Macaulay or "Amazing Feats of Mechanical Engineering." They're geared towards a younger audience and in my opinion would spark more interest than a biography or other historical retelling.
Thanks for the suggestions. Something to think about.
I'd recommend something more relate-able like "The Way Things Work" by David Macaulay...

Macaulay wrote a series of other books related to large engineering projects, often titled exactly what they were... Cathedral and Pyramid are two that I own myself, but he's written several others.