Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
No...I'm not making a comment on LOTR. The Harvard Lampoon is (was).

I found it on my book shelf when I was replacing Professor T's trilogy after re-reading it (still found it enjoyable).

If you can find an old copy I recommend it. It is a bit on the 'R' rated side and it is hilarious in the 'Police Squad' movie sort of way. The Hobbits of the Shire are transformed into Boggies of the Sty. Boggies are a pastoral people who 'don't like machines more complicated than a garrote, a blackjack, or a luger'. Frito, Spam, and Goodgulf the magician help to 'save' Lower-middle Earth from the evil Sorehead.

The difference between Hobbits and Boggies can be found in a retelling of how Frito's Uncle (name censored for reasons of taste) gained possession of the ring. The Gollum-like character (name also censored for reasons of taste) is spared out of pity...'It's a pity I've run out of bullets'

If you loved the original books and your level of humor is stuck somewhere in the 6th grade, it would be worth a little snooping in the out-of-print book shops.

l1soul - not proud of it, but still laughing.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
I loved Bored with the Rings. It was a lot like the "Police Squad" movies, which I also love. My only complaint was that it tended to run a joke into the ground.

Frito's Uncle (name censored for reasons of taste)

R
E
A

L
L
Y

B
A
D

T
A
S
T
E

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

Dildo

Uhura :o)
No. of Recommendations: 0
Ah...If you could only recommend posts more than once :-)

This I would like to see on the 'best of' list.

Greetings,

Loved it. Sorhed, The Kingdom of Fordor, the Great Mount BadAss, the map with the "Little X shaped Forest".. Moxie, Pepsi.

My copy is just slightly worn but a key part of my library.

Cheers,

I actually read "Bored of the Rings" back in high school before I read "Lord of the Rings" . I am sure I would have enjoyed it more after having read the LOTR first. As I recall, it was not really R-rated, more a PG-13. I was hoping for more titilation as a teen age boy and was a little disappointed. Not having read the LOTR at the time, I couldn't really appreciate the satire. If I ever come across it again, I'll have to read it again.