Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Hello,

As I think about updating the FAQ etc as well as review the early era of Greg M. -- I think of boring as something different than the original intent and likely more in the direction as what Dale W. likely was getting at.

I'm not a big Berkshire Hathaway quote machine but ..... from the 1990 letter to shareholder's:

Lethargy bordering on sloth remains the cornerstone of our investment style: This year we neither bought nor sold a share of five of our six major holdings.

This doesn't mean a lot of research is done in the interim -- just we don't have to take action on everything. We have models, we have a shelf of ideas.

This goes back to the idea of a punch card w/ 20 slots for decisions. This goes back to waiting for excellent opportunities. So patience is important with this strategy and its again more akin to running a business than passive index investing.

So yes -- I personally believe sitting on my hands doing nothing is pretty boring and something that is different than what is often expressed by many investors.

To recap: Boring to me reflects an investment philosophy and not a type of company.

chessburger
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.