No. of Recommendations: 0
This term does not exist in good old Germany. Can anybody give me a short definition of what born-again really means?

TIA,

Abe
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 16
Can anybody give me a short definition of what born-again really means?
- Abe

Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
John 3:3-5

Born-again Christians are known in England as Happy Clappers or God Botherers.
They have a shining look of certainty on their faces, smile inappropriately (as if recovering from general anaesthesia), can be seen in churches to wave their arms about ln a deeply embarrassing fashion and sometimes in church throw their heads back and babble inanely (they usually shout "Um=la-la-la" over and over again).
Of course they never sing old hymns, restricting themselves to new ones played on guitars, and to a rhythm that allows them to wave their arms about with their eyes closed.
They are to be avoided at all costs.

CF
I read that about 40% of young Americans consider themselves 'born-again' or Evangelical.

Abe
I read that about 40% of young Americans consider themselves 'born-again' or Evangelical.

Abe

Irritating God-botherers, every one of them.....

CF
Irritating God-botherers, every one of them.....

CF

Isn't that a quite simplistic approach?

What I wanted to know was if those 'born-again' had lost their religion and later did recover it through means of some spiritual experience.

Abe

BTW, I suppose cannibalism is below-average within the born-again community, isn't it?
No. of Recommendations: 6
"A thermodynamics professor once wrote an exam for his graduate students. It had one question: 'Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)? Support your answer with proof.'

"Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs, using Boyle's Law (gas cools off when it expands and heats up when compressed) or some variant.

"One student, however, wrote the following: 'First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So, we need to know the rate that souls are moving into Hell and the rate they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Some of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell.

"Since there are more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all people and all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially.

"Now we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell, because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand as souls are added. This gives two possibilities:

#1: If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.

#2: Of course, if Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

"So which is it? If we accept the postulate given to me by Ms Theresa Banyan during my freshman year: "It'll be a cold night in Hell before I sleep with you", and take into account that I still have not succeeded in having sexual relations with her, then #2 cannot be true, and so Hell must be exothermic'.

This student got the only A."

http://homepages.which.net/~radical.faith/holloway/gresham%201%20pt%202.htm

Abe

No. of Recommendations: 1
I suppose cannibalism is below-average within the born-again community, isn't it?

I find they make mighty fine eating....

CF

I find they make mighty fine eating....

CF

For God's sake, I was talking about the active variant.

Abe