Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
I accumulated a little credit card debt over the past year. Most of it car related- new tires; a 380$ repair; and 150$ registration (wtf NY state). Anyway all in all 1287$ has been paid off!

My only debt now is to the IRS for 1 payment of 150$ due next month for back taxes.

I figure rather than leveraging up in the stock market with every penny saved -- this pay-it-down action is the better move )
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Congrats! Does it feel easier to breathe now?
yep. especially since my stocks are tanking but, they'll be back...
yep. especially since my stocks are tanking but, they'll be back...

S&P and NASDAQ are up over 10% YTD. Not a bad year.
I don't own those however. Bubblicious. I was even short them for swhile.

There are closet SlickNik fans out there!
No. of Recommendations: 6
I don't own those however.

Choosing stocks that are down when markets are hitting new highs is a special talent.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Choosing stocks that are down when markets are hitting new highs is a special talent.

Last year I bought Freeport when it was in the $4 range when it was falling and added to my position every payday until it reached $10 . I only buy a few at a time I also wasn't sure if they file Bankruptcy.

Individual Junk bonds if your willing to gamble and willing to hold for long periods of time. You could lose money on your principal of the bond.

Exchange traded funds with $0 commission are available for as little as buying 1 share just follow your brokerers rules to getting the shares and hold them.
No. of Recommendations: 5
<<I don't own those however. Bubblicious. I was even short them for swhile.

There are closet SlickNik fans out there!
>>

Ummm. I tried shorts and leverage for a while. I discovered the market was smarter than I was.

The past thirty five years or so, buy 'n hold has been my usual strategy. That has worked quite well for me.

Seattle Pioneer
define "worked?"

It all depends on what you're used to in a way, right?

I'm sure there were affluent people who didn't have air conditioning back in 60's. Heck I knew some that didn't have it in the 80s. And I didn't have it for awhile in the early 00s. I slept like sh*t for about 2 summers.
And btw I am over here cuz I got sick and tired of the "group think" on some of the other boards. I don't want to start this over here now.
And I didn't have it for awhile in the early 00s.

We didn't have air conditioning until mid 00s. Having never had air conditioning, I didn't think about it. It is one item that I regret not buying sooner.
No. of Recommendations: 4
And btw I am over here cuz I got sick and tired of the "group think" on some of the other boards. I don't want to start this over here now.

I think you will find that there are many similar opinions on these boards -- when it comes to personal finances, anyway -- because those opinions tend to function well when tested in the real world.

Although this board has a slightly different focus than those others, there is a similar underlying set of themes that have been shown to be effective, and which will come up over and over.

ThyPeace, Read back on the board and you'll find some of the common themes very easily.
<<And btw I am over here cuz I got sick and tired of the "group think" on some of the other boards. I don't want to start this over here now. >>

I don't see anyone twisting your arm.
That is true no one is twisting my arm. But if the last 3 posts are going to be like the rest of the thread--I'm just waiting to hear people tell me how they retired at 51 by not having AC (f that) etc.
how they retired at 51 by not having AC (f that) etc.

No, on this board it's about how they paid off their debt by not having AC. Usually with extraordinary success that rolls into all kinds of other parts of life.

ThyPeace, just so you know what's coming.
Did someone call?

AC *blink blink*
Nah, we didn't have you, AC. You were off, err, earning money to retire early, or something.

ThyPeace, carrying on.
Keeeping it positive and On topic. Wrote my last check to the IRS for 150 dollars and mailed it this morning. Yeah!

(and I have A/C)
No. of Recommendations: 1

AC *blink blink*

wat up dude!
I'm just waiting to hear people tell me how they retired at 51 by not having AC

No, but I was shocked how much higher my summer electric bill was when I first got AC.
alstro

Do you even get the point that I am making (or even care) or are you just so in your little cheapskate defensive bubble that you're going to misconstrue everything I say and turn it into some little anecdote on saving 5 cents? I'm not attacking you I'm just saying I don't want to discuss this matter in this thread, and there's plenty of discussions like those on other boards